Powder coating a rifle

Geezerbiker

I was thinking about using Guncoat to finish a hunting rifle but the problem is I don't have access to an oven long enough to bake it on. So I got the idea why don't I send it out and have it powder coated. Anybody know if there are any down sides to having this done?

Tony

why not send it out to have it cerakoted or some such...powder coat has major thickness to it that can interfere with tolerances

Gunkote goes on thin (.0005", 1/2 of a thousandth of an inch). Powder coat goes on thick, .015-.025". This will create dimensional issues.

Gunkote is fused with the surface. Powder coat is not.

Gunkote is designed to be slick. Powder coat is not.

I wouldn't, but you feel free to go right ahead and try it out.

Actually, I would talk to the powder coat shop and see if they would let you bake your barreled action after you spray it with Gunkote.

OK guys you've talked me out of it. I wasn't 100% sold on it anyway and it was more of a why not idea.

Tell me more about cerakote? I bought some epoxy paint from Midway before my move but I haven't seen in in a couple years and it's probably gone bad by now anyway. I really want to move on with this project as I really miss shooting my .308...

Tony

Powder coating a bolt/receiver? I don't see how you could do it, adding a minimum of a couple of thousandths to both sides of the receiver, and the bolt, would be at least 8-10 thousandths?

Cerakote (bake-on) is extremely thin and doesn't interfere with tolerances.
They apparently have an "air-dry" now, I don't know anything about it but looks interesting.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...akote-air-dry-ceramic-coatings-prod41824.aspx

I have used Duracoat, thicker than the ceramic coatings and not as durable.

It's all in the prep...

I have a AR-7 that I fit into a M1 carbine stock, I had the receiver powder coated and the barrel ceramic coated, the ceramic prevent heat from coming thru and keeps the outside of the barrel cool to the touch. I need to talk to the coating company and see if they can teflon coat the innards of the receiver.

Can' t really do the bolt but ANY buildup won't work there. Had a Ruger auto pistol that spent some time in a puddle of drain cleaner. The pits were horrible but the powder coater cover them completely. It sticks Very well indeed..

Back