• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Posts which bait members...flame bait...

johnelmore

I noticed one controversial post placed up in one of the forums and I was going to respond, but I thought twice and didnt because it seemed too inflammatory. Then eventually a moderator closes it down saying the thread will bait members to respond in such a way to get them banned from TFL.

It made me think there are probably a few posts here, especially recently with the court rulings, which are essentially "flame bait" designed to get folks to post in a way they normally would not.

So, just an observation I thought I would share with the forum. In the future, Im going to look carefully at a post before I place my two cents within it. If it seems a bit too controversial, Ill just move on to the next thread.

It made me think there are probably a few posts here, especially recently with the court rulings, which are essentially "flame bait" designed to get folks to post in a way they normally would not.
We usually shut those down pretty quickly. If you see something potentially inflammatory, you can do the forum a great service by hitting the "report" button, and we'll swoop down like a flock of hungry pelicans.

"Controversy" is a relative term, but things that paint the forum or the gun culture in a bad light are not tolerated.

A controversial, inflamatory post on the internet?

I'm shocked! :eek:

As Tom notes, we're pretty good at riding herd on such posts and, as necessary, such posters.

There are always going to be such posts made to TFL simply because we don't moderate posts before they appear in the forums. And given how active TFL is, we're never going to do that.

Nor do we want to. Controversy and civility aren't mutually exclusive. There's nothing wrong with discussing a controversial subject, as long as the discussion is polite and factual: one can state opinions, and argue one's case, without being inflammatory.

Back