• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Posting Replies

Bud Helms

Post Reply is not working from within SOME threads. "Hop To" doesn't work in all cases either.

I had to trim the URL back in the location window (Netscape) because I was bookmarked for the "Welcome to ... Forums" page. I had to find the parent directory (front door) from a text directory page.

I notice that when posting replies, the URL in the location window shows <http://216.157.75.35/thefiringline/cgibin/...> instead of <http://www.thefiringline.com/cgibin/...>

The latter works.

Well, The first thing I did was cut the phone line. Then I put a new mother board and modem in my puter and brought it all back up.
Nothing at all for me to do as to what Rich is up to right now!
Hang in !! it's worth it!

Thanks Sensop.
That's the type of info that helps with the debugging.

When our name started to propagate thru the WWW, there were a number of problems with reconciling addresses. I got those, but then all the smileys in previous posts went T.U. This is because the location, not the image, is coded into the post. The solution is the pervasive UBB "Update Threads" function. It's going on right now...it'll probably take about 6 hours if my ISP doesn't hiccup.
Meantime I set up some temporary directories that the old smiley pointers can access. Welcome to my hell. ;)
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited March 31, 2000).]

Sensop-
I see it now. It's not a Forum specific problem, it's a Post specific problem. For one reason or another (time of post?) some of the icons in postings point to the old directory, which no longer exists.

We're straightening it out with by updating all the threads...a long and fragile process, though it's automated. Currently AFCQC an Legal should be completely clean. I'm about to set out 21 robots, one for each Forum to try to speed it up...wish us luck!
Rich

6 AM wakeup....Update crashed...again! Grrrr!

We managed to get Legal, AFCQC, Rifle and General straightened out. Working diligently on Handgun. The rest will be easy. They're small.
Rich

Back