• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Posting Pics (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tplumeri

I looked thru FAQ's but cant figure out how to put a picture directly into a post.
best i can do is a link to a pic.
also, why cant i link a picture to more than one thread?
Help!
thanks
tom

Whether it shows up with out opening the file is based on the size of the pic.

Go to Software test an see how people do it. I don't know the pixel limit.

Type the following:

2395384603_d9f30a123d.jpg

A little more detail...

As long as the image you want to display fits the following restrictions...

bmp 97.7 KB
gif 97.7 KB
jpeg 244.1 KB
jpg 244.1 KB
pdf 390.6 KB
txt 170.9 KB

...then you can click the "Attachments" button (
attach.gif
) and upload the image.

In order to display a high res photo, you need to store the photo off site (i.e., www.photobucket.com) or just find a photo on another website you would like to display in your post. Then link to them in your post using the "Insert Image" (
insertimage.gif
) button. To use this button you just need to...
  1. Open the website where photo is displayed.
  2. Navigate to the image you would like to display in your post
  3. Right-click the desired image and select "Copy image location"
  4. While posting to TFL, click the "Insert Image" button (
    insertimage.gif
    )
  5. Select or delete the entire text-box content (usually http://)
  6. Right click in the text box
  7. Select "Paste" from the menu
  8. Click "OK".
Hope this helps.

Fly

Looks like you successfully broke the code, Tom.
But, what do you mean by - "why cant i link a picture to more than one thread?"

You can both link to the same image (URL tags) and show the same image (IMG tags) in multiple posts. What problem have you been getting when you try linking in more than one thread?

when i was using the paperclip symbol to get a picture in "my pictures" and posting the link:
if i try to use the same picture in another thread i get a msg that says that the image was already used in "blah blah blah" thread.
cant get the image to upload so i can attach it.
tom

It's true that you can't upload it more than once (saves our disk space). But that's different from being able to link/show it more than once. You can show it in any thread you like by using the IMG tag set and attachment URL similar to the way you used it in your post above. IOW, no need to "attach" it to every post in which you wish to show the image.

A tip: there's no need to search for the post with the attachment to get the URL of it. Your attachments are all listed in your "User CP" - click on Attachments at the bottom of the menu to the left of the screen, then right click on the image filename under the Attachment column. The URL is in "properties". (I didn't discover that until about a year ago.)

Find the URL by right clicking on the attachment (picture itself or the name), copy the URL from the "Properties" window, paste the URL between the IMG tags where you want it to appear in your post.

The IMG tags and URL will look like this:

[IMG]http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32425[/IMG]

Try it with your picture.

Ok, the picture shows as attachment, how do I get it to display??
well, thank goodness I'm not the only one!

BTW thanks to "onthefly" for the instruction. dont fully understand them but i printed it out to try.

and thanks alot to MalH. Im honored that staff would reply to to this AND see it thru!
youre OK in my book. I dont care what playboypenguin says!:eek:
thanks again
tom

How to post pic on Firing Line ad for sale?

Okay, I am not to most savvy when it comes to computers, etc.
Need to know exactly how I can post a picture of my gun on the thread for selling a rifle or pistol? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Of all the threads on how to post pics (and there are many), post #6 (see Dave's reference, immediately above this post) by OnTheFly is possibly the best overall answer we've seen.

For that reason, thread is stickied. I'm also closing it, so that it doesn't get sidetracked or overwhelmed.

Great idea, Al!

I removed the extraneous posts from the sticky since OnTheFly's post can stand alone as an instructional post.

Thanks, OTF!

If anyone wants to add or amend anything to the sticky please PM a moderator. I added an explanation for showing attachments as images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back