Post-traumatic stress disorder medication?

Jffal

Several years ago a physician prescribed Zoloft to me to curb any anxiety I may have been feeling because of a longterm vestibular disorder doctors had mistaken for migraines. I accepted the prescription for awhile but eventually halted it; at the time (mid-nineties), I was able to function better than I had been able to when the condition first became chronic (early eighties) and was focused on getting to the source of the problem rather than playing with its side effects. I forgot whether Zoloft had any sedative side effects but if it did, that would have prompted me to stop it for safety reasons.
At least post-traumatic stress disorders (and hopefully the psychological stress someone actually goes through during, say, a self defense incident) are getting some real attention. However, th response here appears to be to medicate, medicate, medicate!
Jeff

Panel Recommends Zoloft for Stress
The Associated Press
Friday, Oct. 8, 1999; 2:59 p.m. EDT
WASHINGTON –– The widely used antidepressant Zoloft also should be approved for treating posttraumatic stress syndrome, a federal advisory panel said Friday.
But panelists cautioned the drug so far seems to help only women, not men, with the anxiety disorder, which can result after a life-threatening or otherwise traumatic experience such as combat, rape, assault or a natural disaster.
Symptoms of posttraumatic stress include flashbacks, nightmares, persistently avoiding reminders of the event, survivor guilt, insomnia and depression.
Many psychiatrists have long prescribed antidepressants along with psychological therapy to treat posttraumatic stress. But if the Food and Drug Administration specifically approves Zoloft's use, manufacturer Pfizer Inc. will be allowed to advertise the drug for such treatment, potentially widening sales.
Zoloft already treats depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and panic disorder.
Pfizer conducted four clinical trials of Zoloft to treat posttraumatic stress. In two of the studies, Zoloft failed to work any better than the placebo, while it alleviated symptoms better than the placebo in another two studies.
Consequently, FDA's scientific advisory panel voted 6-2, with one abstention, that Zoloft's new use should be approved. The FDA is not bound by its advisers' recommendations but typically follows them.
However, the drug's effectiveness was almost exclusively found in women, the FDA said. One study in which Zoloft failed, in fact, was a study of male combat veterans. The FDA's advisers said this gender effect must be noted on Zoloft's label if the drug is sold for posttraumatic stress.

Jffal, I'm not quite sure what your point is, so if I have taken it wrong please excuse me.
It seems to me that you're against medication for such disorders, and while I'll agree that some doc's over prescribe, in many cases the meds are a nesessity. You can work a lot out talking w/ a shrink, some people more than others, but mostly what you learn is how to deal w/ the anxiety, the pain, etc.. It don't make it go away, just helps you deal w/ it a little better. Some are lucky and the shrink sessions will be all they need, but for a good many, meds will have to be taken, some only for a short time and others for ever. If you can't sleep because of terrible nightmares, lack of rest ain't good, talking ain't gonna cure it. If you're standing in Walmart and the walls and people start closing in, and your heart starts beating 90 to nothing, you can't seem to breathe, all the anxiety handling methods they teach ain't gonna work, which means you gotta go NOW!! I'll agree, if it's a mild case you may be able to talk yourself back to normal, but for anything over that you need meds or something bad is going to happen.YMMV

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Back