Post pics of your turkey shotgun rigs

Here's mine.

Doubles as my home defense shotgun (well, 1 of 2 anyhow - this is my primary HD longgun though, actually).

NEF Excel Auto 5 "Turkey" model, 22", 12 ga 3.0", semi-auto, wearing scout type scope setup (Nikon Turkey Pro 1.65-5x36mm).

I almost put this in Hunting but decided here would be correct.

Of course, the aluminum vent rib on top isn't designed to to be a place to secure a scope mount as I have done, so over time it may batter and break - not sure; we'll see.

attachment.php

Attachments

• June 8th, 2014 1323.jpg
    June 8th, 2014 1323.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
10 ga no

A likely reason, and the main one for me when I was considering buying a 10, was that the darn things are too heavy. I was looking at a Browning BPS 10ga, heavily customized, with 22" bbl, pressed in custom choke, and a dull space finish on the metal and custom low glare finish on the stock. I'd seen the gun in action, and it was absolutely lethal farther than seemed reasonable with lead #4 shot. But it weighed more than my Garands. My 20" 870 3 inch 12 ga seemed downright petite next to it. The guy trying to sell it deemed it to heavy, and after some hefting so did I and I passed.

Most, or at least much turkey hunting, can involve covering a lot of ground trying to "strike" a gobbler, or to keep up with a gobbling bird moving away or trying to cut same bird off. The places I have always hunted gobblers have never been level either, though that's not true everywhere.

Once you get a set up going, usually there's a considerable period of time when the gun is up/mounted and the hunter is in the seated position while the bird is visible and moving into range. Its not unusual to end up in an awkward or less than ideal shooting position. And the "wait" with the gun up can sometimes be very lengthy. An overly heavy gun is a real handicap in that situation.

So no 10 for me, but I hope to post some pics of the trusty 870, and its new stable mate, a Moss 835. The 835 was for bamaboy, but I can make the sights out better on its longer barrel, and.....its drilled for optics, which will likely be the way I'll need to go eventually as the lights eyes) get dim. It outshoots the 870 by a slim margin too.

gu9abesy.jpg

I'll try to keep things going, but this is the first time I've posted from my phone, so we'll see if it works.

I got this 500 over the winter for turkey hunting, but didn't wind up hunting this spring (new baby).
I'm more familiar with 870's so the rattle took some getting used to, and it's the first ported shotgun I've had.
But, it prints well, and it carries well, so I think I'll keep it.

Back