post ban M4

t2

Since ar15.com is down, i will ask this here. I want to get a post ban M4 with a Wilson combat muzzle brake and I was wondering if anybody had some web adress's for good ar smith's who could do this. I'm especially intereted in guy's who have had this done. I'll be starting with a BM shorty, plain bbl carbine. Thanks in advance, Terry

t2 , my Bushmaster shorty just got back from Wilsons , I had his muzzle break installed . It looks a lot better than a naked barrel , but it is extremely loud . They also scratched my barrel up pretty good installing it , a scratch on each side about 4" long , I am assuming from chucking it up in a pipe threader . It touched up fairly easy but you would think they would take a little more care with an obvious brand new weapon , I also asked them to send me a copy of the BATF letter stating this was a legal installation and they did not . Good luck , Mike...

Won't Bushmaster do this, since you do have their gun? I would check...while I can't speak to the price, you've got a lot of protection since you would be dealing with the manufacturer of the very weapon you are modifing...it would also help in the "legal" department if the ATF starting to squint hard in your direction, since you would have documentation of the work done. Plus there is that whole warranty thing...if Bushmaster is modifying their own gun, surely your warranty wouldn't be voided (if there is a warranty left).

They already make a weapon similar to what you want, the XM15 E2S "SHORTY AK" Carbine...check out http://www.bushmaster.com/products/weapons/PCWA2S14AK.htm

So the other option is to sell your current weapon, and buy the Shorty AK as is.

[This message has been edited by Forseti (edited May 15, 2000).]

I am going to send mine to Kurts custom for the m4 profile and brake, the final price will be the same as what some m4 kits are going for. I saw some pictures at ar15.com before it went down and it looked pretty good. I wonder if he will flute under the handguard and for how much

Mike,

Wilson has a nice, suitable for printing, copy of the BATF letter on their muzzle brake on their website. Here's the link: http://www.ar-15.com/batfletter.htm.

BTW, what was the turn-around on the brake, and when you say it is loud, do you mean louder than a "naked" barrel? I'm looking seriously at having them install one, because theirs looks so much like a pre-ban birdcage. Are there any others that look as "authentic?"

Thanks.

Scott

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited May 16, 2000).]

Scott , the turnaround time was 3 weeks . I had read the letter on their website before ordering but I am printerless as we speak so I will copy it when I get a printer . I think it is quite a bit louder than the naked barrel , but it looks a LOT better . I am thinking about picking up another shorty and I will have their brake put on it also . I like the fact that it protects the muzzle crown also . Good luck , Mike...

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Can it be that the muzzle brake makes it louder than the plain barrel? Maybe it directs more of the blast sideways/to the rear?

Still, it's about the only brake that doesn't look like a popcan with a few holes drilled in it. Gotta have that "preban" look.

Scott

A weapon with porting will [in my experience] always be a lot louder than a non ported weapon . The porting redirects some of the muzzle blast back and sideways like you said instead of straight away . As a rule I do not like porting [muzzlebrakes] , but in this case it makes the weapon look a lot better . Good luck , Mike...

Back