post-64 Winchester Model 70 to present

gaseousclay

could those of you that have experience with Winchester M70's please school me on the Model 70, specifically the M70's that were produced after the 80's til the present?

I ask because I was at the gun shop today browsing used rifles and came across several used M70's, but I didn't quite know if any of them were worth investigating. one was clearly marked 'post 64' but it was beat to hell. the others had 'made in New Haven' stamped on the barrel. the clerk behind the counter also showed me a Featherweight which I'm guessing was a current production model by FN...all it had was 'Made in the USA' stamped on the barrel. I know the FN productions have the CRF but am I correct in assuming the M70's from the 80's to the early 90's had the Push Feed? I know the CRF is highly regarded among rifle owners so what i'm wondering is, how do I know which M70's to avoid and which ones to consider? I'd love to own an M70 but I don't wanna pay $1000 for one

The brand new FN Winchesters are every bit as good or better than the fabled ones from decades ago.

I've owned them throughout my life. The Rifleman's Rifle they call them. The new ones are controlled feed and some of the not so new ones were or are push feed. A lot of bantering about what was or is better goes on. Whether push feed or claw they are all good.

could those of you that have experience with Winchester M70's please school me on the Model 70, specifically the M70's that were produced after the 80's til the present?
A bit of background:
In 1963, Winchester decided to stop making the controlled-round-feed rifles because it was too expensive to manufacture and sell for a price competitive with the Remington 721/722. The Remington folks were eating their lunch, so to speak. So the brilliant minds at the big red W decided to replace the well-regarded CRF Model 70 with a push-feed version starting with the 1964 model year.

FWIW, also in 1964, Remington updated the 721/722 (pretty plain-jane really), replacing it with a cute, well-dressed little number called the Remington Model 700.

So Winchester left much of the tooling and equipment already in place alone and modified an expensive part of making the action, machining the bolt for the claw extractor and blade ejector. In its place, they put a clip-type extractor and a plunger ejector. People were unimpressed. They wanted the old action back and were not buying. Winchester started dressing up the Model 70 to compete with the new, glossier, dressier Remington Model 700. People were still unimpressed, but bought a few more. Stamped sheetmetal followers replaced the machined follower, cast floorplate replaced the machined floorplate. By the early 1970s, Winchester had effectively copied the Remington product, but with a 50-year-old design.

By the end of the 1980s, the folks in New Haven (USRAC by then) started getting the hint (only took them 25 years), and produced a special run of "pre-'64" actions, calling them the Classic. It was absolutely well-received. People raved. But more importantly, people bought. USRAC decided to make it a standard production item, produced side by side with the new crop of push-feed rifles, and the "controlled push feed" action called the Model 70 Shadow/Coyote (depending on accroutements). Fast forward to 2000, the New Haven plant closes, Model 70 prices skyrocket. Old fogies are crying, young yuppies are bewildered, and gun writers called it the end of an era. The world exploded in flames (not really, just kidding). FNH, who owns the Winchester firearms trademark, moves Model 70 production to SC with shipping beginning in 2008-ish. Of course, they decided to make the CRF version, since they had been producing it all along for the FN PBR.

So now we have the CRF Model 70 back. Whew! I am so glad. (So what, big deal) Are they "as good as" the pre-64s? Well, in 1935 the Model 70 got a lot of attention in manufacturing, and was pretty good. But by 1963, the pre-64s were pretty bad, so I hope these are better. And the 1964-1970-ish guns were also pretty bad (stamped checkering, sprayed-on finish, rough metal finishing, so-so accuracy, lousy wood, etc), but they gradually got better, and by 1980 they were pretty dressy (nice wood, cut checkering, good barrels, high-gloss metal finish, etc) but still a push-feed Model 70.

The Rifleman's Rifle they call them
Yeah, yeah, Winchester called them that. Marketing slop.

The Winchester Model 70 was never a great rifle, it was a good rifle for a good price, developed from the Model 54, which was developed to outsell the Mauser 98 rifles being imported from Germany and Belgium. Being imported, Mausers were kind of pricey, and the Model 54 was less expensive, so it sold well. But the Model 54 was limited to 30-'06-length cartridges. The Model 70 was developed to allow use of full-length magnums without having to resort to a magnum Mauser, which was one of the few commercially available rifles that could handle the new screamers like the 300 H&H. They moved the bolt stop and lengthened the magazine but used the same receiver (cheaper, you know). It was a pretty plain package, but super-reliable, like the Mauser it was paterned after. But I digress.

Anyway, long-winded, maybe a bit inaccurate, but that's basically the story.

I'm a Winchester Guy, I have Model 70s from pre 64 to the new FN (which I think is the best of the lot)>

However, there isn't a dern thing wrong with the post 64 Model 70s, I have two excellent target rifles I made on the post or push feed Model 70, a 300 Winchester 1000 yard rifle, and a Vietnam Era Sniper Rifle Clone.

Choosing a used Model 70 is no different then any other used rifle, examine the bore. And the finish to suit you. Regarding the actions, you cant hurt them.

A while back, (long while back) I bought 6 Model 70 post 64 actions from a guy who bought the guns from some Eskimos (who ain't known for taking care of equipment). I paid about $250 for the lot and made some dern fine rifles.

Personally, when buying used rifles, (the Model 70), I look for the most beat up, abused rifle I can get, you save a lot of money. Then I may or may not strip the thing of anything but the action and start over.

You can buy a good barrel for not much, a pre-inleted stock, dab in some bedding compound and you can put together a dern fine shooter.

Don't get hung up on the push feed, I use to worry about breaking that little extractor so in 1974 I bought a new Model 70 in 375 H&H ($235 in the Elemdorf AK BX). I took the recoil pad off and drilled a little hole, putting in an extra extractor in case I broke the one in the bolt. That was a long time ago and that extractor is still in the stock. Never seen one break.

You have used Model 70s, I'd say go for it, don't get hung up on it being a post 64. Most of the Pre-64 stuff is just hype anyway.

Scorch pretty well has the history covered. The Pre-64 was a great rifle design, but the rifles themselves for the most part are over rated. The rifles made prior to WW-2 deserve the premium collectors prices, but post WW-2 until 1964 should be viewed as shooters or donor actions for a great custom. At least in my opinion.

From 1964 till 2006 is a crap shoot in my experience. I wouldn't chance a pre 1980 rifle even though many are just fine. The 1980's and 90's pushfeed rifles were for the most part pretty good, with far fewer lemons. The early Classics with CRF are in my opinion really a better rifle then either the pre 64 or the current rifle. I only say that because the new rifles have a new re-designed trigger. I prefer the older style.

The rifles made during during the last 2-3 years before Winchester closed in 2006 had more than their fair share of bad ones. Although many of them are just fine as well. Just more of a chance of getting a bad one.

New rifles are about as good as it gets in a factory rifle. I still prefer the older proven trigger design, but the new one seems to work fine

I bought two control feed (Claw) stainless classics in 1999. One is in 30.06 and the other is a .300 WIN MAG. I hunted with them a few times and took one deer with each rifle and then locked them up. The bolts work like butter and the triggers are not too bad on them. Lately I use one of my Remington XCR's for the deer hunts. Some reason I thought the Model 70's would be valuable after they stopped making them and I decided to put them up. Well that's out the door since they started making them in Columbia, SC.

I have an amazing pushfeed M670 (cheap M70) built late 70's, early eighties. When a bit of the rifling let go a few years back I knew I had to have another. When FN started production on the new Super Grade I knew I wanted one. Finally got one, one for my brother as well. Best looking rifles I've ever seen. My first one had issues, was replaced under warranty. Second had minor issues that were resolved and now this is one rifle that will someday be part of my estate. Wonderful fit & finish, great trigger, looks and handles like a pre-64, shoots five rounds under MOA with my handloads.
IMHO if you want a collector piece, buy the pre-64. If you want a shooter, buy the new FN gun. As noted above the pushfeeds and post '64 Classics were mostly good but I feel many are overpriced. The Super Grades can be had for less than $1k, sporters and Featherweights for less. There may be better rifles out there but the new Super Grade is my choice, if I have to do it again I'll buy another.

P2240442.jpg

The top rifle is the FN Winchester Featherweight in .270 Win.

The other side shows a lot of fiddleback!
P2240441.jpg

I messed around some with a 1966 version in .264 WinMag. With handloads it was a true tackdriver. Granted it's just one example, but for accuracy, post-'63 seems to be just fine. It's a fit-and-finish deal, mostly. Push feed has never presented any problem for me, so I'm indifferent to that issue...

Back