Possible New Cook County (IL) Law?

jephthai

I saw this on the Illinois State Rifle Association's web site, and hadn't heard about it. I did a quick search here on TFL, and didn't find anything about it -- if I missed it, my apologies.

Otherwise, if I'm the first to post it... Here's the release from ISRA:

ISRA-PVF Alert for Cook County:
WARNING FOR COOK COUNTY HUNTERS, SPORTSMEN, GUN OWNERS

The most sweeping gun control laws in the nation will soon be voted on by the Cook County Board. Here is what they will do:

* CLOSE ALL COOK COUNTY GUN SHOPS - Under the ordinance, no gun shop could operate within 1 mile of a school, church, nursing home, or park, and no two shops could be within 15 miles of each other. BOTTOM LINE: All gun shops in Cook County would be ordered to close just after New Years Day.

* BAN MOST GUN OWNERSHIP - Under the ordinance, all Cook County residents would have to register their guns with the Cook County Sheriff . Now read this very carefully: You could only register guns that are currently registered. If you live in unincorporated Cook County, or in towns that do not currently require registration, then you could not register any guns under the new law and you’d have to surrender your guns to the Sheriff. BOTTOM LINE: Only residents of Chicago and a handful of suburbs would be allowed to keep any guns. The majority of Cook County residents would be forced to surrender their guns to the Sheriff.

* IMMEDIATE BAN ON HANDGUNS - Under the ordinance, the only handguns that would be allowed in Cook County would be firearms with a “load indicator.” Therefore, all revolvers would be banned as would most semiautomatic pistols. Also, other language in the ordinance would ban semiautomatic shotguns and rifles.

* NULLIFY LOCAL GUN ORDINANCES - Under the ordinance, home rule authority over firearms would be eliminated with the County Board being in full control of fi rearm regulations. BOTTOM LINE: You cannot hide from this ordinance no matter where you live in Cook County.

WHO IS BEHIND THIS GUN GRAB? ...

Read the whole alert right here at ISRA.

Posted Sun Jan 6 18:48:01 CST 2008

Anybody else heard about this? Is it normal for this to happen on the COUNTY level?

-Jephthai-

This is a public call for all law-abiding gun owners to leave the city of Chicago, County of Cook and preferably the state of Illinois as soon as possible.

Within the next two to three years, Illinois will be the last state of the union that does not issue concealed carry permits. That, coupled with laws like this, and the RKBA infringing FOID will make the state the most hoplophopic in the nation. Chicago and Cook Co. will be the city and county with the strictest anti-firearm laws in the country - they will also be ranked among the highest in violent crimes. This must take place so that the people in other states can see and understand that anti-gun laws just don't work.

There has to be a sacrificial lamb. A place where free men and women refuse to live because of onerous laws infringing upon constitutional rights. Many of us have long thought it would be San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC or New York City, but Chicago is quickly becoming the clear winner (loser).

Get out now while you can. Let Chicago become the crime-ridden cesspool that it is destined to be. The good people of Ill-annoy don't deserve it to happen in their back yard, but it has to start somewhere. True believers in the RKBA will call their county commissioners and tell them they support this law, then move.

You have been warned. Let the lesson begin. :(

The Chicago area already has so many gun laws I don't know if anybody pays attention when they write new ones anymore. I didn't know there were any gunshops in Cook county to begin with. I never saw or heard of one when I lived in Chicago.

A while back that little troll Bladgegogevivivch said something like: "only criminals have guns north of I-80".

For all I know he's right, I left with my wimpy Chicago-legal birdgun years ago.

Back