Possible Misprint, Hodgdon 10mm Load Data

steve4102

It appears that Hodgdon has an online misprint for 10mm 180gr Jacketed bullets using Longshot Powder.

Their previous manuals listed the following.
180gr SIE JHC, Start charge = 8.5gr, Max charge = 9.5gr Longshot

This is also what Lee has published in their 2019 manual as they get their data from others like Hodgdon.

Todays Hodgdon online manual list the following,
180gr SIE JHC, Start charge = 7.0gr, Max Charge = 8.2gr Longshot

It just so happens that this new online data for the 180gr Jacketed bullet is the same as their data for the 200gr Jacketed Bullet.
Start Charge = 7.0gr, Max Charge 8.2gr Longshot.

I contacted Hodgdon a couple times via Email to inquire about this, but have not received any reply.

It just so happens . . .

Yeah. It just so happens. :D

Most likely, you have solved the mystery. Good eye.

My manuals are all packed away, but if memory serves, Speer #15 has an entire page of incorrect data. I think it's 44 Magnum, and the whole page actually has 44 Special data (same bullet). Speer #14 has the correct data and it reads the same data verbatim for the correct cartridge. It might have been the other way around (Special had Mag data :eek:), but I doubt it.

No, I don't think it's an error. I think it's a coincidence. Note that while the charge weights are the same, the pressures and velocities are not. The fact the 180-grain bullet does not use more powder is likely because it is a JHC design while the 200 is an FMJ. The hollow cavity in the JHC makes it long for its weight, which can mean it is seated deeper into the case, taking up extra room. That does raise pressure if you don't reduce the charge. I don't have the two to compare, but folks often underestimate what differences in bullet designs can do to pressure.

Like Unclenick says, the amount of bullet in the case is more important than the weight. It's especially true for high pressure handgun rounds.

folks often underestimate what differences in bullet designs can do to pressure.

the amount of bullet in the case is (often) more important than the weight.

True. Very true. One of the most glaring examples is with 45 ACP. The 230 RN and the 230 FP or HP are very different animals. They seat differently in the case and have different OAL's. Load data is not interchangeable.

They redo that data periodically as part of their QC program. If the factory they source the powder from some other factor has changed it, the data can change. The bullet having been changed or redesigned, that will do it, too. If the old data preceded their instrumentation upgrade, that could also do it. lots of possibilities there.

Try calling them.

UncleNick said:
. They redo that data periodically as part of their QC program. If the factory they source the powder from some other factor has changed it, the data can change. The bullet having been changed or redesigned, that will do it, too. If the old data preceded their instrumentation upgrade, that could also do it. lots of possibilities there.

All other handgun data with Longshot remains unchanged, which indicates to me that the Powder itself has not changed.

All other load data using that bullet 180gr SIE JHC , remains unchanged, which indicates to me that the bullet itself has not changed or been redesigned.
What is a Sierra JHC anyhow, does Hodgdon mean JHP?

What does Quickload say?

Last edited:
All other handgun data with Longshot remains unchanged, which indicates to me that the Powder itself has not changed.

All other load data using that bullet 180gr SIE JHC , remains unchanged, which indicates to me that the bullet itself has not changed or been redesigned.
What is a Sierra JHC anyhow, does Hodgdon mean JHP?

What does Quickload say?
That Sierra JHC is a jacketed bullet with a soft lead hollow point up front. Something like the picture below.

Last edited:
Back