Possible change to conceal and carry law In MO

Is Missouri Correct to Allow Businesses to do this???

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JDD308

Just thought you all would like to see this.

Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 1:00 p.m.

JEFFERSON CITY, MO -- The Missouri House has given first-round approval to a change in Missouri's concealed carry law. The law allows licensed individuals to carry concealed weapons also allows businesses to bar guns from their premises. Some business owners say their premises includes the parking lots.

Supporters of the legislation say that puts Missourians in a bind if they cannot carry weapons into some businesses and cannot leave them inside their vehicles while they shop.

Check out the site because citizens have already started commenting on it.

http://www.krcg.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=125225:mad:

Well, that article is useless. It doesn't state what the bill plans to do about the business owners claiming that "premises" includes the parking lot.

MOCarry.com does not list any such bill as being considered this session, and the one bill which would affect permitted locations to carry would codify allowing guns in vehicles (HB 1383, and that seems to be progressing). The main issue with it on our end seems to be absolving businesses of ALL liability. While we don't want them to assume liability for acts committed by permitholders, it might get them thinking if they are liable for the safety of all present if they prohibit carry.

I doubt we'd see any more posted businesses if this law passes, but it would shut up a few about "my parking lot, my rules."

Last edited:
In Georgia, a business can post a sign forbidding firearms. However, it is not a crime if you ignore the sign. It is only a crime if they ask you to leave the premises and you refuse. So, in effect, you can ignore the signs as there is no real punishment if you are found to be carrying in a private business that posts a no conceal carry sign.

If the MO law were the same as GA, then I would not worry about it. On the otherhand, if there were concrete punishments for ignoring the business owner's wishes, then it is a problem. Regardless, as a pro-2nd amendment person, personally, I would spend energy to fight the change.

MO's law is the same as GA. Under the current law, it is not a crime to carry into a prohibited location (unless it is made a crime under a different portion of the MO code). If discovered, they can ask you to leave. If you choose not to and a police officer is called, you can receive a citation good for a $200 fine. Enough of that, and you can lose your permit.

The law also states that you can leave your firearm in your vehicle, and doing so is not brandishing. The only thing the bill I mentioned will do is make leaving it in the vehicle specifically legal.

Some places try to post their parking lots, but they are completely toothless. You'd have to be pretty careless to show the world your gun as you put it into vehicle storage.

Back