Possible Change to CCW in Ohio Around the Corner

Chainman

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/04/ohio_senate_passes_bill_allowi.html

Here's hoping it makes it through.

I'll tell ya the liberal posts and commentary under the story...just scary the logic they use to justify why it shouldn't be passed.

I guess I just use logic and beleive that laws typically just keep law abiders from having guns. Anyways, I see this as extremely convenient because currently I have to leave my weapon in the car just to go into a bar/restaurant to eat frigging lunch.

I know I know...don't apply logic to gun haters.

I see they are also trying to rid the law of the micromanaged way we have to carry in a vehicle. Although I've never really had a problem with that part of the law. Currently, it must be on your person or in a container such as a glove compartment or other closable device. Really only gets those you want to through it under their seat or in a seat holster i guess.

I could at least understand the logic behind the last part...some guy is going to get into trouble leaving it in plain sight on his dash or back seat. That seems like an incredibly bad idea if, during a traffic stop you forget and the officer sees the weapon before you have a chance to tell him/her that you are a CCW things could go downhill fast. No saying you couldn't get through it, but it would get scary quick I would think.

Best of luck Ohio. It was a hard fight to get concealed carry in alcohol serving restaurants in VA, but no blood bath since it has passed. Of course the irony is that you can not drink and conceal carry in a restaurant (well except for some privileged state employees) but you have been able to open carry and drink for a long time. In VA they changed the car law so that non-permit holders could carry guns in glove compartments and center consoles, previously the only way to carry in easy reach, without a permit, was to open carry the gun on the seat or dash.

John Gilchrist, legal counsel for the chiefs' group, said the proposal is dangerous for his members. "These people carrying may go with every intention of not drinking, but then once they are there they may think 'Who is going to know?' and start up," he said. "Then you have people drinking and carrying guns."

Apparently, he doesn't realize that when you are "ten-foot tall and bullet-proof", you don't need your gun...:D

Back