porting question

Dave44

I have a 629 classic used for mostly hunting. I have been wondering the pros and cons of porting. And of course how much?
Am i going to sacrifice any velocity or accuracy? Thanks in advance

Porting should not affect accuracy if done properly. And many companies claim no loss of velocity, though reality is roughly 3 to 5 percent loss. Reduction in perceived recoil is about 15 to 20 percent. There is also a substantial reduction in the amount of muzzle flip.

Only serious flaw in porting is noise. Double hearing protection is usually a must.

Robert

I have a S&W 629 Classic 6" ported and it only has a little more recoil than my S&W 686 .357 6" unported.

I don't know about velocity but it shoots much straighter than I can.;)

I have ported S&Ws in .357, .45ACP, .41Mag and .44Mag. The removable unit on the .45 V-Comp is a waste of time but the ones on my other ported guns DO work. Accuracy is not hindered in the least bit when the revomable ports are used.

I did some chrony work last month with the 3 inch
629 V-Comp. a 6 1/2 M29 and a 7 1/2 M629 Magna classic. The recoil of the V-Comp was about the same as the other 2 guns although the weight is 6 to 10 ox. less. This was with fairly heavy loads but I assume that you WILL be using stout recepes. At milder loads of under 1,000fps and 240gr.SWCs the Comp didn't work as well. FWIW....dewey

Did you check out the Jack Weigand link? I should have been a little clearer. After you go to his main site, go into pistolsmithing services.

Back