Porting chrome-lined barrels?

JNewell

Can this be done? Would it ruin/flake off the chrome plating in the bore? I've got a Remington 870 barrel that I believe is chrome lined, and I'm curious about having a Vang Comp job done on it.

JNewell, first I don't believe your 870 bbl is chrome lined. I've never seen one that was to my knowledge. But to answer your question I wouldn't expect a chrome lined bbl to flake. In my experience they haven't when reamed or drilled for other reasons. George

The barrel is a Remington 870 that was shipped with the PM. George Stringer, I share(d) your doubt, but I looked at this under a 30x magnifier and I do believe that it's been chromed. There is what looks like the chrome "bloom" around the back edge of the chamber and at the muzzle. I could be wrong -- I may call either Remington (pah) or Hans Vang to see what I can find out.

MagnaPort's ProPorting process is an EDM process that, I believe, would be safe even if the barrel was Chrome Lined. I share the skepticism that it was. I have never seen or heard of a chrome-lined Remington Factory barrel.

Back