Ported Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

Hey Pros! A good friend of mine just had his Glock 26 "hybridized", as the smith called it. It has three small holes all in a row on top of the slide right after the front sight and holes were also drilled in the top part of the barrel. I think this is called a ported gun. I fired a few rounds today and the difference was some smoke jetting out of the top of the slide and the tendency of low shots. I attributed the first problem to maybe the handloaded rounds(?). The second problem would probably be solved by adjusting the sights.
Lastly, the white dot of the front sight turned black from the gunpowder after a few mags worth of firing. We had to scrape the stuff off with our nails.
You can tell both my friend and I are new to this thing. Did he just make a big mistake or is there logic to this? Thinking of doing the same to my Glock 26 and HK USP .40. But don't worry, I will not make a move until I hear from you professionals. Thanks in adnvance.

There's never a need in my opinion to port a 9mm. Glock offers "compensated" models with 2 ports that point in a V-pattern so as not to obstruct or mark up the sights. If you bought the gun, then you bought the gun. I wouldn't have gone with a pistol where some shade-tree shooter did the porting. It's usually better to go with factory stuff if you can.

I'd liekto know if it can shoot consistent groups...?
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

BMC:

I have one ported revolver that I've owned since the early 1980s. A S&W Mod 66 .357 Mag w/2.5 inch bbl.

I sent it to Mag-na-port for porting and a custom finish and action job. Absolutely fantastic work. Now with the passage of years, I think the porting would be just the ticket on a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull used for hunting big game. I don't really recommend it for a self defense gun.

If my ported Mod 66 wasn't such a great looking and shooting revolver, I'd have traded it off years ago.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited November 04, 1999).]

BMC: The white dot on the sight isn't what you should be using to aim with. It is only there to help you pick up the sights in low light situations. Use the top of the sight for your aim.

I have a S&W 29 w/3" Mag-na-ported barrel. Really helps tame that little monster, though those wood grips still do a number on my hands. It's really neat to shoot it at night... If you don't mind being temporarily blinded.

Wow Pros thanks! Your feedback is really useful. Thanks also to legacy38 for the shooting tips. You people know your guns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back