Popular cartridges in different guns….

Pumpkin

As the title says, how many of you have a popular cartridge in a gun, that isn’t traditionally associated with it.
Example:
45ACP/1911
9mm Luger/Berett92/Glock/etc………..
38 Spl Revolver/etc……….

I have two 45ACP’s, S&W 625, Ruger LC Carbine 45
Two 44 Mag’s, Ruger 77/44, Contender pistol
A 22Mag, AutoMag II
A nice 629 and 1911 are on Santa’s list.

Ruger 77/357 it shoots best with 125 Grain powder coated lead bullets over 4 Grains of Bullseye loaded in 38 Special brass

Cva 300 blk single shot pistol so far shoots best with MP clone of the RCBS silhouette 165 grain gas check powder coated bullet over 14 grains of h110

I've had S&W Revolvers in 9mm.
2 k frame Model 547, with a special Ejector. No moon clips needed.
And a Model 940, J frame, DAO, that used moon clips.
All of then were accurate, and dependable revolers.

I have two DI gas system ARs in 10mm. :) I also have 1911 and Revolvers in 10mm. Yep, I really like 10mm.

I have a revolver in 9mm.

Those are so cool!
I looked up an old write up on the Brit.
I have become a pretty die-hard "don't destroy the surp" kind of guy. I hate seeing anything sporterized, and hate seeing people waste their time and money using Mauser actions, in particular, for custom builds. We have far better actions available today, and you can get an absolutely amazing shooter for less than a basic sporter conversion will cost. And every one of those sporters means one more piece of history gone. (Like 6.5x55 Krags getting rebarreled to .30-30 or .303 Brit and having their stocks cut to sporter styles. :()

So, I searched out rifles and parts that were absolutely destroyed and could not be restored, and were barely useful for a few parts, to build the Spanish Mauser in .45 Auto. Bad parts were welded. Some parts were cut to serve a simpler function without a razor-sharp rusty edge. Even the stock was spliced together from 4 badly broken or rotten stocks.

The Enfield is similar, but only the barrel and bolt were bad. So I tracked down some sporter stocks, set aside the original parts, installed a modified NOS Ishapore extractor, and set up the new barrel and magazine to take advantage of (and correct) the bad bolt alignment. No original parts were modified.
With a new barrel, it can be restored.

think

I think I get it......here goes!

-a autoloading carbine in......44 mag
-a lever rifle in.............308
- lever carbine in ..................357
-bolt rifle in .......................7.62x39mm

All good,
One I remember on here a while back was a SS Single Six that had been converted to 25ACP.
Personally, if Ruger were to market this for a fair price I would love to have one.
Be fun to load for and be pretty unique.
Also, a tube feed, bolt action Marlin 9mm. Based on their 22 mag rifles it could be very useful, I think ;-)

-a autoloading carbine in......44 mag
Had one, a Ruger

-a lever rifle in.............308
Have one, a Browning BLR

- lever carbine in ..................357
have one a Marlin 1894

-bolt rifle in .......................7.62x39mm
Not even remotely interested...:rolleyes:

IIRC the 45 Long Colt is quite popular in lever actions today although none were chambered for it "back then".
A design that intrigues me is a bolt action-for ease of brass retrieval-carbine with interchangeable barrels in 9MMP/38 Super, 45ACP, 45 WinMag using M1911 magazines.
My favorite SIG SHR 970 comes in a variety of calibers, didn't catch on, alas.
I have a Ruger old Model Blackhawk Convertible in 357/9MMP. Digests 9MMP lead reloads very nicely and makes retrieving brass so easy.

If all goes well, I hope to soon have a 1911 chambered in .380 ACP.

Is it going to be an actual 1911 pattern gun set up to run .380?

Or is it going to be one of the scaled down 1911 style guns in .380?

I had one of the scaled down ones, neat gun very nice is all particulars, save one. The trigger.

Not the trigger pull, but the physical trigger itself. It wasn't made like a 1911 trigger, the part extending through the frame into the trigger guard was a flat thin(narrow) steel "bar" and the finger part was a plastic "shoe" held on to the bar by a couple of dimples in the metal, essentially a simple friction slip fit. And it fit loosely, wobbled and wiggled and would come off when it felt like it.

The relief cut in the frame was only large enough for the trigger bar, and would not pass the trigger pad, so it appears the gun was intended to have the plastic trigger easily removed to allow detailed disassembly.

The gun I had did not have the plastic trigger "shoe" fit snugly or firmly, and I didn't care for that, at all. That gun went back to its previous home, and I believe now belongs to someone else. I won't have one of those, made that way, again. The gun was a Browning. Friend of mine has one now, has no trouble with the loose plastic trigger (superglue works wonders :rolleyes:). Really likes it, being a locked breech design.

Hope yours is better!

"I have become a pretty die-hard "don't destroy the surp" kind of guy. I hate seeing anything sporterized, and hate seeing people waste their time and money using Mauser actions, in particular, for custom builds. We have far better actions available today, and you can get an absolutely amazing shooter for less than a basic sporter conversion will cost."

I can agree with you in part but also disagree with you in part. These days I most certainly would not cannibalize a fine milsurp Mauser to make a sporter but on the other hand have several custom sporters based on milsurps. Everyone one was done by someone else so the damage was done. Just not by me. I also have a few custom sporters based on commercial Mauser actions, most FNs. Frankly, if I'm on a hunt, especially a guided hunt that has a lot of money tied up, I want what I consider the most reliable rifle action available so I go with the Mauser. I've never had one fail although I've had a scope or two go toes up on me. Usually the back up rifle is a 30-06 on and FN Mauser regardless of what I'm hunting. Usually antelope, deer or elk.
Paul B.

I shoot lots of .357 Magnum in a (almost!) 1911 in my Coonan Classic.

I shoot piles of .38 Special (wadcutter!) in my S&W Model 52 pistols.

I shoot some .32 S&W Long (wadcutter!) in my Walther GSP.

I shoot .30 Carbine and all of it's flame & noise from a Ruger Blackhawk revolver.

I owned, for a short while, a S&W 646 and it was an L-frame revolver with a titanium cylinder chambered for the .40 S&W round. It was not the revolver that I wish it were and moon clips just suck... so down the road it went.

I've had S&W Revolvers in 9mm.
2 k frame Model 547, with a special Ejector. No moon clips needed.
And a Model 940, J frame, DAO, that used moon clips.
All of then were accurate, and dependable revolers.

In your 9mm revolvers, do you find the recoil to be about 357 mag level with wood grips? My 3” 547 just kicked too hard to enjoy. As a high value hard to shoot gun, it got the boot last year!

547, always wanted one!

They are cool looking and a great story. I recommend you go find one. With $1500 and a good eye, you should be able to find a pretty good one.

Back