Pops, how many grains do you use in your 1858?

I started with 25gr and a wonder wad, but it didn't feel as if I was getting much compression on the powder, so I switched to 30gr with the wad. Felt much better. There were no unburned granules of powder on the catch sheet in front of the shooting position, so I don't feel this is too much of a load.

I just got my LEE mold for the 200gr conicals, so I'll have to get busy with that. I'll use the RB for plinking and then start for accuracy, later.

Pops

40gr for a full power load and 30gr for practice. The 40gr load is significantly louder. Heres a pic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• guns 050.jpg
    guns 050.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 407
I don't worry about a pistol load being too much for the integrety of the gun, but whether it is efficient. Grampa (Mother's side) taught me to calculate a maximum load by shooting over one of Grandma's sheets. start with enough powder to just cover the ball in the palm of your hand. Then increase until you get unburned powder on the sheet in front of you. Back off a tad and you have your maximum load.

Note: this is a DANGEROUS practice! If Grandma catches you, you're done for!

Pops

I like to use 35 grains, any less and I would have to add something else to the cylinder to feel the powder start to compress
I was also thinking about rolling ball and powder in cigarette paper and seeing how that works.

Remington

My Remington came with a flask/ spout measure that holds 33 grains FFFG. Has always worked well for me. The new Remington caps are too big, I use the RWS Nobel #1075.

I `ve heard tell the ole timers use to fire into a snow bank , and check for unburnt powder around the hole , keep backing off on the powder untill , the unburnt powder stain goes away ...and then ya ain`t wasting any powder .

Fadala's tests of 1858 Remington New Army

Sam Fadala's 'Black Powder Loading Handbook' 4th edition page 245 shows 20 gr fffg real bp with a .454 rb as the most accurate load, with 35 gr fffg real bp or 40 gr Pyrodex P as the optimum load (best velocities & energies).

I enjoy Fadala. As he notes, each individual gun is different in its preferences for loads, although revolvers aren't as picky as rifles and shotguns.

Pops

Back