Poor Accuracy !

Big Ken

I don't want to give Colt bashers any ammo, but I have been shooting my newly acquired 91A1 & Gee whiz, either I have become a terrible shot in a hurry or I need to tune on this thing, groups @ 25 yds. are at several inches instead of just a couple. (btw, still hittin pretty good with my other handguns) the trigger is a little tight & I have a little slack in the slide, do you guys think a lighter trigger pull & tighten up the slide will help any ?...........thanks

Clean it, and lube it properly, if you have not yet done so.

Then, get a variety of ammo AND a friend or two to help you wring it out. Only then will you be able to make a fair assessment, IMO.

I shot 2 modern production 1911's, don't remember the origin or make, but not Kimber or other expensive models. Had the same problem with accuracy -
hits were all over the place, 12-15" "group" at 15 yards.
The owner of those pistols had pretty much the same
record. Anyway, I bought CZ-97B....2-3" groups offhand at
15 yards, with cheap MFS ammo.

No offense against the Colt, but I think their 1911's have been getting several complaints about the accuracy lately. I've even heard several complaints from the local gun shop owner over the accuracy. Para-Ords and Kimbers seem to be the kings of the 1911's right now. I love the Para. She is sweet especially with two thirteen round magazines for her.

Cheap accuracy improvements

I've found recent vintage Colt barrels to be of superior quality.
Accuracy can be substantially improved by closely fitting a match bushing and precisely crowning the barrel's muzzle.
In my shop, I crown barrels on my lathe using a toolpost
mounted toolbit after indicating the bore true to .0005"
or less.

Chuck

My new XS is balls to the wall accurate. Please excuse my choice of words, but this pistol is The Cats'Ass:)

Try different brands of ammo.
Guns are finicky when it comes to diet and While your gun may be inaccurate with your favorite load - it could be MOA with a load you've never tried before.

(Okay - maybe not MOA... but dang good enough for a handgun!)

MOA= Minute of Angle, or about 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200 yards etc. etc.

Got my 91A1 a few weeks ago accuracy is very good around 2 inches at 25 yards with most loads I've tried (thats about 8 MOA :D and it was a lot tighter than the old one I had several years ago. If after a few loads you don't find something it likes I'd just send it back to Colt till your happy.

Good Luck, Blue Duck

Back