Pondering New Purchase: Sig P220

IanS

I FINALLY shot the Sig P220 yesterday after years of being a Sig fan (P229). Its definately a Sig and accuracy is - no surprise - superb. Even though I was never really into the .45 I fell in love immediately.

Will primarily be a range gun but how about defense? Since its barrel is 4.4" are there any non +P loads that will retain "legendary" .45 ACP performance? I don't want to shoot +P since I like to train with similar loads and I want to "baby" this one.

Ian11; Had a P-220 years ago and it was superb. Like an idiot I traded it for something. Well, after Colt 1991's, H&K USP's, and Glock 21's I've come full circle and just bought a new P-220. They are simply outstanding pistols. Possibly THE most relible 45 on the market today, more accurate than me, lightweight, and they reek QUALITY. I didn't care for the new grips so I got the old standby's...Hogue pebble grain panels..there're awesome. I dunno, there's just alot of "pride of ownership" when you own one of these pistols. Best Regards, J. Parker

I knew there'd be a lot of praise for the P220. Thanks for your quick replies.

Another concern though. Are stamped slide Sigs more prone to rust than other comparable non-stainless slides? Say 1911s, CZ, BHP's, Beretta 92? According to a lot of posts it seems like if you just turn your back on them they'll grow blotches like mildew on stale bread; the reason why I chose the P229 previously. Will Militec 1 help?

[Edited by Ian11 on 04-19-2001 at 12:44 AM]

Ian11; With my first P-220, I remember a 100 degree shootin' day, bunch a guns, sweat everywhere, and I came home stuffing all my guns in the safe where they stayed for a couple of days till I could clean them. The P-220 had a slight bit of rust forming on the top of the slide. I wiped it off with some bore cleaner and a rag and never saw any rust again. I was careful to dab some Shealth on my blued guns after that. My trusty P-220 never skipped a beat. The doomsayers of P-220's love to mention the rust issue. I'm a witness! It didn't hurt the gun one damn bit. And they love to mention the cracked frame bullpucky. Go up to the SIG QUALITY thread and read what "blades67" has to say. Best Regards, J. Parker

I bought my first SIG last week and fired it for the first time last night. It is a new K-kote 220. What a wonderful gun. The sights are off a little but it is only 1" at 25 yds, no biggy. Other than that it is soooooooo much better than the G21 that i sold to get it. Buy a 220 and you will not regret it. Now i just need the money for a small SIG to carry.

I'll keep saying it.

There are no better handguns in the world than the 220 series pistols from Sig.

As far as the rust issue goes,I havent seen a rusty Sig,unless somebody wanted to make it rusty. Simple maintanance solves all of that.

For what a handgun is supposed to do out of the box,it simply doesnt get any better.

I have two 220s. you might hold off until they get the bugs out of the new 220ss. They reportedly had qc problems. I have faith they will work them out. It promises to be the ultimate shooter.

Cheers,

ts

Buy the 220 and don't look back. You will be happy. I am saving my pennys for a new 220. I have a 229 40 S&W and it has served me well.

Got my first 220 6 weeks ago. K-Kote with SIG night sites. Put the rubber Hogue grips on it. It is my favorite gun. Get one and you won't be sorry.

And were the two with cracked frames still operable?
Were the guns replaced by SIG?
What rounds were being fired from them?
Were they the older models before SIG modified the frames?

I'm not trying to jump on your case Weshoot2, but I am curious as to the circumstances that surround the issue. I guess I am taking the Glock owners approach to defending SIGs. :)

My Opinion

The Sig-Sauer P220A in .45ACP is simply the finest firearm
ever made, bar none.

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Phillip,

One was definitely NOT operable; don't know about the other, only handled the frame. Boxed factory rounds, not handloads, were fired through each. (Both owners were not loaders.)
Both were cracked near the 'right rear'.

Have no idea if 'old-style' or 'new', and no idea of resolution.

Handled both, one owner testified that round count exceeded 10,000; other frame was 'newer' with much lower round count ('hundreds', not 'thousands').

I've seen other brands with cracked frames, so I'm not pointing finger at SIG. Fine gun if you like them.
No 'jumping' inferred, just offering facts.

SIG (Glock/1911/H&K/Ruger/S&W/Kimber) owners should NOT feel any need to defend their choice of firearm; all are high-quality guns that fit specific user desires.

"Let those who buy decide".

Have a number of Sigs, including a 220, most being just Blue with only one of "K-Kote". Only a 226 has the slightest hint of surface rust to be found and live in the often Steamy N/E. FWIW, Sig "Beefed-up" the frames @ ser. #219166 to the so-called "+P" frame construction. Sigs are Superb Classic DA/SA Pistols with the 220 being of unique & Legendary Status in its own right. IMO you can't go wrong with a 220.

Back