Pondering buying a 204, any thoughts?

KyleWoods35

Inactive
Hello,

I am considering buying a 204 for groundhog hunting (300-400 yard max), I will not be walking around too much so I was thinking about buying a heavy barrel gun. I would like to be able to get a gun for $500-600 and a scope for $200-300. I was looking into the Savage package deals for around $500 but I was also looking at a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, CZ 527 Varmint and Tikka T3X Varmint. If anyone has a 204 in one of these models or has a different model that they like feel free to give advice.

I agree with buzzcook, it's a fun gun to shoot. I think hornady has factory loads that push the bullet above 4000 fps.

I don't know this for sure, but I have ran into a few different guys, over time, who owned a .204, and were saying they did not hate nor really like the round. The last fellow was an older guy about two weeks ago. I had went to the range to dial in a red dot on a 10/22, and a scope on a Savage Mk II, and we got to talking about the usual stuff with guns and all. During the conversation, I had asked him about the rifles he had with him and his handloads, and it turns out one of them was some kind of heavy barreled varmint rifle in .204. Said it was the second barrel on it because of throat wear from the really high velocity of some of the rounds he shot.

Again, I don't own one, so I don't know for sure if he was loading his ammo too hot or what, but he said he did not really hate or like the .204. Said he did not get much more out of the overall performance of it versus price and such. He did say it was accurate, provided there was not much wind.

A Ruger #1 you'd have to have cu$tom made. They're sold only through Lipsey's and in selected very limited models each year. No BNIB .204's currently available either. They are around used though. $1,050.00 on Gunbroker. Used isn't ugly when it comes to firearms.
Ruger American Predator comes in .204.
I'd be inclined to buy as much brass as you can when you buy the rifle too. Even if you're not reloading now. Marketing types discontinue stuff regularly with no consideration for existing customers.

Last edited:
I planned on buying factory ammo before I started reloading it, I'm already reloading 222 and am going to start reloading 22-250. I've heard the 22-250's are barrel burners but haven't heard that about 204's, they could be, or he could have been running hot rounds as you said.

.204 Ruger for ground hogs

.204 Ruger is a fun round. Any of the guns you mentioned should be good. Get what you likes. Had an SPS that was very touchy and the barrel went kaput after a couple thousand rounds. Replaced that with a Ruger Predator and have enjoyed this one a lot. Working up to around 3000 rounds and it is still like a laser.

The barrel burning effect is one of those things that is kind of like people getting wear and tear on them---if you shoot a lot it is inevitable. My Ruger will no longer shoot the 39 gr. Sierra's that it thrived on up to about 1400 rounds. But it still shoots 24 gr. Hornady V-max lights out---around 4200 fps. For ground hogs, if you won't shoot a whole bunch you should have great longevity.

Recoil is less, muzzle blast is less than 22-250. There are several great rounds for varmints, and .204 is just one of them IMO.

20 Vartarg has a couple of drawbacks---finding 221 Fireball brass may be a stretch. No factory ammo that I have ever seen. Load data non-existent on Hodgdon and Nosler sites. Other than that, it might be a lot of fun. 'Pends on.....

Well I just ordered my 204, Savage 12 FCV, got it for $575. I will post again with updates on how everything goes and how it shoots. I was considering putting a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x50 scope on it, I've read good reviews and haven't really seen any bad reviews.

I built one on an AR platform. After 1600 rounds, the barrel was shot out. I tried a few of the rehab tricks, but no go. Rebarreled to .223 and have been much happier. I typically use a .22Magnum, then .223s and then a .22-250 for varmints and such.

I just can't see 40 cents a round in ammo cost and 25 cents a round in barrel cost when I can shoot a barrel that is more on the order of 20 cents a round for ammo and barrel cost with equivalent results.

The .204Ruger is a pointless round. It is a barrel burner. etc. etc. etc. Having said that, it is on my list of rifles I will be adding to my collection soon.:D

The .204Ruger is a pointless round. It is a barrel burner. etc. etc. etc. Having said that, it is on my list of rifles I will be adding to my collection soon.

I am sure technically, the vast majority of us are right there with you. Even with specialization, there are probably no more than 5 calibers that anyone would be well served with. What makes those 5, we will argue about gleefully until HRC and her new SCOTUS take them all away. :mad:

IF it interest you, go for it. I won't. Reasons are:

Light small bullets even though very fast drift more proportionally than bigger heavier ones. Yes, this is the argument 6mm shooters use against .22 shooters, but I think it applies even more when you go below .22 cal.

You will need a dedicated cleaning rod. No matter how much you wish, you can't clean a .20 (or .17) bore with a standard .22 rod.

Barrel burner has been applies to about every overbore cartridge, and often correctly. This can be reduced by choosing the right powders, and power levels.

Run a .22-250 at 36-3800fps, and its not a "barrel burner" or not very bad, anyway. Run it above 3800fps and it cooks barrel throats pretty quick.

I load for .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, .222Rem, .223 and .22-250. The .204 holds no appeal for me.

I think you made a good choice, Kyle. Was going to recommend the $400 Savage FV from Cabela's, which I believe is basically the same rifle with a blind-box magazine.
I have three .204 rifles - Remington, C-Z, Cooper - because it's my favorite varmint/predator round. Best feature is you can watch hits (and misses) through the scope. Spin the heavier bullets through the longer barrels like you have, and you'll enjoy almost .22-250 performance with less muzzle blast and actually less wind drift than a '250 with similar or slightly heavier bullets. Biggest problem with all factory .204s is that they come with 1:12-twist barrels that barely stabilize 40 grain bullets, although the excellent 39 gr. Sierra Blitzkings shoot well in about any .204 rifle.

Just an update, I've had my 204 for a couple weeks now and I love it! It easily shoots under 1/2 MOA if I do my part. I've also killed close to 20 groundhogs with it and I'd say a little over half have left some huge exit wounds. Longest kill so far has been 350 yards, the Mueller scope I put on it really does the trick!

Overall, I am extremely happy with my purchase and can't wait to make up some loads with 39 gr SBK's.

Back