Polymer80 Glock compatable pistol kits

gedenke

Some of you may already know about these, some may have experience with them...but thought I'd share.

Polymer80 is now offering Glock19/23 compatable 80% pistol kits. The PF940c (c for compact). Kits come with the jig and tools, now have metal front AND rear rail inserts, and are available in smooth or textured grips. Smooth grips are for those that wish to stipple. One thing to note, though, is that they only work with Gen 1-3 Glock parts...something to do with Gen 4 patent. I'm betting they'll offer these in differnt colors in the near future, like they did with the full size kit.

In my opinion, it's WAY better looking than their orginal PF940, which is designed to work with full sized G17/22 parts. I took the plunge and put in a pre-order at Brownells...I'll post more later when I get it, and as my project progresses. Already have my G23 parts and I'm pretty excited about this build!

Here's the links....what do you all think?

PF940:
http://www.polymer80.com/Pistol-Frame_ep_60.html

PF940c:
http://www.polymer80.com/Polymer80-80-Compact-Pistol-Frame-V1-ReadyMod--Black-_p_1874.html
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...lymer-black-for-glock-19-23-32-prod97837.aspx
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/pf940c?source=feed_text&story_id=599283700257722

Last edited:
A quick google brings up suspect durability and reliability with older versions.

Ergonomically, who knows? The old version was somehow larger and blockier than an actual Glock. The new one looks better, but no one has one yet. I don't think they've even posted pictures of their textured frame yet.

Economically, Glock parts kits run about $500. Add a $150 frame, and you are $650 into it before dremel work. And then you might still want real sights and a fancier trigger (which may not work).

$650+ will get you a real pistol.

It's just too much money for a garage pistol of unknown quality.

That is, unless you have some particular wish for a "ghost pistol".

Jeff, you are correct. Thanks for catching that. I'm building a 23, so that's what all my focus has been on. I'll edit to fix...

Kozak, I think that's why they went with the metal front AND rear rails, to improve the durability. As for cost, I'm into it for just under $500 with all new OEM Glock parts. I'm a DIY fan, so I thought I'd give this a try for the hell of it. And the "ghost" aspect is a plus. I have plenty of "real" guns, as you say, anyway.

If you're buying any 0% or 80% anything to save money, you won't. If you're buying to build your dream gun, start with stripped frames or lowers. If you're buying to keep away from government registration and confiscation, better get back in your cave and off the internet.

But, if you're buying as a learning process, these are a great option, no matter what opinion internet firearms "experts" might have.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I'm giving this a shot because I like the looks of it, and having built a gun myself is something I enjoy. Same reason I build my ARs from parts instead of buying a factory gun. I can piece them together exactly how I want it.

Anyway, we'll see how it all turns out!

Update: PICS!

Update:

Brownells was taking forever to ship, so I cancelled the order and got one through Rainier. Got it last week. I also picked up a S3Fsolutions stainless fluted 40-9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags.

The milling/assembly was super easy. However, it did take me a couple hours, but that's just cause I'm a perfectionist and really took my time to make it look good.

Range report: She's a shooter!!! I did have one FTF with the factory G23 barrel on the first mag, but I chalk that up to initial break-in. After that I put 100 rounds of 40s&w through it without a single hitch. Accuracy was great. Oh, ammo used was 180gr Rem UMC FMJ and Winchester 165gr white box FMJ.

Then I switched to a S3Fsolutions 40-9mm conversion barrel and ran another 100 rounds. Ammo was Federal 115gr FMJ red box, and Winchester 115gr FMJ White box. Accuracy again was awesome. I did however have some signs of short-stroking, as the slide would not lock back after last round a couple times. And I had one stove pipe (last round out of mag). This is to be expected with cheap, under powered ammo. I believe this is an easy fix with a lighter recoil spring assy, or by just using higer powered ammo.

Overall, I am very happy with this build. In the near future, I'm sending the slide out to have the Glock engraving removed, and add some forward angled serrations, along with some Cerakoting. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeRender (1)40.jpg
    FullSizeRender (1)40.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FullSizeRender (2)9.jpg
    FullSizeRender (2)9.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 40
Figured out the slide lock issue. I had initially installed an extended slide release lever on this build. Yep. You guessed it. I was high thumbing the lever (was actually holding the lever DOWN with my thumb over the lever). Replaced the extended lever for a stock one, and ran another 150 rounds through it. Zero issues.

So, bottom line. This gun works very good, and has excellent accuracy. 100 rounds of 40, 350 rounds of 9mm: only one FTF on the very first mag. User error caused a couple kinks, but that can't be blamed on the gun. I'm happy with it.

Back