Polymer finish

Ledbetter

George and all,

Had this up on Handguns but got no responses. Just bought a CZ-75 with a polymer finish. Coating it with CLP or gun oil just results in a slippery gun and wears off after just a bit.

What, if anything, should be used to protect the finish? I read one post on TFL that said automobile wax was a good idea. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your past help.

Don't apply car wax unless the finish is non-porous or you'll play heck getting the white residue out of the finish of your gun. I don't really know what type of coating your gun has so I can't really make a suggestion. Any pics that you could e-mail me showing the finish? I have a couple options but I need to know what you have before I suggest either one.

------------------
Georgia TFL'ers get together:
May 20, 2000-From 3pm to 6pm
http://www.wolfcreek-gun.com

R6...aka...Chris

Ledbetter, polymer doesn't really need protection. It isn't going to rust of course. There's not a whole lot you can do. Any wax or oil is just going to make the pistol slick and difficult to hold. I would keep it dry. George

I think he is referring to a polymer coating applied to a metal surface, not a polymer molded part. Is that correct Ledbetter?

------------------

R6...aka...Chris

I also own a CZ with the polymer finish. I never really asked about its care. But CZ-USA said that Birch Casey flat black touch up markers will fix a chip in the finish. My wedding ring did a number on it. Anyway, your best bet would be to either email CZ through www.cz-usa.com or give them a call. They respond to emails within a day or two. And they always answer their phone. I called them a couple times and the everyone was very courteous and prompt. Just like customer service should be.

Thanks for the responses.

George and R6: Yes, it's black polymer coated metal, not polymer through and through. It is a non-porous and very smooth coating, like the paint on a car or a powder-coated bumper. For a picture, go here:
http://www.czub.cz/PISTOLA.HTM

and click on the small picture of the CZ-75BD.

New, it came with two very small chips in the finish, under the slide lock. Since the surface underneath is not protected, I am concerned about rust there, and further chipping or wear of the polymer, which is the only protective finish the gun has.

I forget who and what thread the post was on, but someone on TFL suggested car wax as a protectant on guns. Over on Handguns, Tecolote advised that CLP will penetrate the polymer and protect the metal underneath, but this seems unlikely to me.

I took the gun shooting yesterday, a real sweet shooter except for the creepy trigger. Afterward, I cleaned it and then applied a coating of Meguiar's Gold creme car wax to the exterior surfaces, without using any water. I brushed the dried wax out of the nooks and crannies with a clean old toothbrush. The gun has a Hogue wraparound grip, so I hope slipperiness won't be a problem.

Looks and feels pretty good. I'll have to remember not to rub it off with an oily rag.
Icopy, thanks for the tip about the black touch up markers and CZ customer service. If this turns out to be a huge mistake, I'll let you all know here on the Smithy.

Thanks again for your help.

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited May 12, 2000).]

The pistol is protected under the polymer finish. The polymer is applied over parkerizing. So even if the finish is scratched off, the parkerizing will offer some protection. I can't remember whether I read about this on the CZ USA site or their overseas site. By the way, how does the gun shoot with the Hogue grip? I installed a pair recently to prevent my wedding ring from scratching the finish. I have yet to fire it with them on.

On non-porous gun finishes I use an automotive product called Zaino Bros. Showcar Polish. It is very durable on both cars and guns, or anything else that is non-porous. I have seen it bead Shoter's Choice for a short time on blued guns before being removed by it. It beats the crap out of trying to keep my stored blue guns oiled down. I've been using it on cars and guns for almost three years now. No rust on anything I have applied it to.

Another test I have given it was applying it to the blade of a CRKT K.I.S.S knife. I bought a new CRKT and carried it on my waistband for one day on patrol (no rain). When I took it off after my shift it had little rust spots on the side of the blade next to my body. I had cleaned/protected it with CLP prior to carrying it.

I took a little FLITZ on a clean gun patch and very lightly rubbed the rust spots off the blade being careful not to polish out the satin bead blast finish, then applied the Zaino. I have carried it now for over a month in the same manner I did the first day and it has not rusted.

This stuff is awesome!! It's also the only thing I use on my truck. No greasy, oily residue like wax leaves to attract dust. Zaino's Z6 is great for between cleaning dust wipe downs on blued or stainless guns. It actually repels dust.

I highly recommend it for protecting non-porous surfaces. Go to www.zainobros.com or e-mail me for more info. I don't sell it but I have used it extensively and can answer just about any question you might have. I used to moderate the detailing forum on an automotive forum similar to TFL and I got to be good friends with the owner of the company. Great guy. If you contact him tell him CP sent you. :)

------------------

R6...aka...Chris

[This message has been edited by Rainbow Six (edited May 12, 2000).]

R6,

I appreciate the tip and your help and have printed out the order form from Zaino's website. I already wrote on the form that "CP recommended you." I figured there must be something better for guns than regular car wax. Many thanks.

Icopy,

My wife lets me take off my wedding ring when I go shooting. I guess she figures I can defend my self against the hordes of women at the shooting range who would otherwise be throwing themselves at my feet, or whatever. :cool:

The Hogue grips worked great; I shot a total of 130 rounds with a brand new CZ-75BD (_no_ failures to feed FMJ :D). Very comfortable and "natural" feeling. I have them also on my Ruger .22. For me, they are a great help in attaining a consistent grip quickly, and after each shot. I have finger groove grips from another company on a 1911 as well, but the Hogues seemed better for the CZ.

I appreciate the info about the parkerizing. I'll revisit both those sites and try to find out more.

Been away for a couple of days. Thanks to all who responded. By the way, I'm real happy with my CZ, which I carry in my new Safariland 560. Big step for me because I'm now IDPA "legal," having switched over from a _compensated_ commander-length 1911. Our timer guy had been good-naturedly complaining about loudness, having to stand to the side where some of the muzzle blast is directed. The CZ should be the end of his complaints. Think I can hit a little better with a longer-barrelled 9MM (rather than .45) too. :)

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited May 14, 2000).]

Sweet shooter is some good stuff for cleaning and polishing guns. It is advertised in most gun magazines, it is a gunsmith dream. If you want the information on it e-mail me and I can get it for you. :)

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT

Back