PolyChoke User Opinions

Sarge

I am toying with the idea of having the basic PolyChoke installed on an 11-87.

polygold2.jpg

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

I used these on a couple on relatives' shotguns, decades ago, and came away fairly well impressed. But my experience with them is dated and I'd like the 411 from folks still using them. I am especially interested in recent installations. If you have pattern photos, please post them.

I am already familiar with all the arguments against these devices.

I think they are great. Especially on older guns with full chokes. Some people hate the looks but in the end they work really well.

They do work. I absolutely hate them. You do not have to have one installed. They make one that will screw right in to the RemChoke threads now. I much prefer choke tubes.

With the Remington 11-87 you can have the best of both worlds. Poly-Choke makes a screw-in unit that should replace your chokes.

Now you do not have to carry the full set of chokes in your pocket. After hunting/shooting just remove the Poly-Choke unit and put in one of the Remington choke tubes.

And yes they look like a can on the end of the barrel, BUT they work. So did the Cutts compensator unit, but back in the 50's that was the best there was in chokes.

If someone comments on the Poly-Choke, just say it's a new style breaching device!

The application would be a dedicated short (21" or so) barrel, so the PC would not adversely affect handling or aesthetics. This would primarily be a Slug/00 Buck barrel and if it throws decent I/C patterns with field loads, that's icing on the cake. Field loads, and the fact that I prefer ribbed barrels, are why I'd start with a sporting barrel instead of the factory short tube.

In that light, I'd probably just have an I/C Tru-Choke installed and be done with it. The cost of having the barrel shortened, sight remounted and choke work is actually little less than factory installation of a PolyChoke.

Your point about breaching devices is well taken Jaguar. Having used them, I am perplexed at their popularity with the general public. I suppose it's just the thing for those times when you locked your keys outta the house and left your shotgun, face-shield and armor leaning against a tree in the front yard :rolleyes: Personally, I'd far rather have a PC on my shorty than a breaching device.

Virginian, I know you hate these things with a livid passion. Thank you for your restrained and intelligent reply.

With a little planning and a phone call to check on thread patterns, you can still go the way of having the barrel threaded and also down the road use a poly-choke also, as previously mentioned.

Here is the link to the Poly-Choke 2 which simply screws into the barrel and doesn't need to go to Poly-choke for installation.

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

Had two installed with past 20 years -- one just a few ago. And bought a Mossberg C-Lect Choke barrel withe a double-bead rib two weeks ago. How can you beat the things!?

Two are on HD guns -- one went on a 20" and the other makes up part of the 18-1/4".

That's about what I have in mind Matt and in that case, the permanent install seems a sensible arrangement.

This...

...what you had in mind Sarge?

From 15-inches to the maximum range of any shotgun load, this'll have you covered with the flick of a wrist. I had them make this 1/4" longer than the legal minimum just to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• Mossberg 500 Custom 18.25 inch Barrel by Poly-Choke.jpg
    Mossberg 500 Custom 18.25 inch Barrel by Poly-Choke.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 38
Here is an odd question...
What would it cost to have a fixed choke gun threaded so I could install a polychoke II?
I have several mossberg threaded guns along with a couple fixed single shots. Would it be worth it to thread the singles to the mossberg pattern? If the poly choke didn't work out the threads would still be nice.

Looks like $300 in tools from brownells will set me up. Maybe I can rent them cheaper.

Last edited:
In Mn putting screw in tru chokes costs about $129.00 with 3 tubes included at my local gunsmith. I have used Poly chokes on an old Ithaca 37 and liked it.
Worked very well.

Mwal

Here is an odd question...
What would it cost to have a fixed choke gun threaded so I could install a polychoke II?
I have several mossberg threaded guns along with a couple fixed single shots. Would it be worth it to thread the singles to the mossberg pattern? If the poly choke didn't work out the threads would still be nice.

Looks like $300 in tools from brownells will set me up. Maybe I can rent them cheaper.

Or you could ship a barrel to someone like Mike Orlen who does this for a living. Last I saw, he charged about $50 to do the barrel

Back