Poly Tech AK

RW

Inactive
I have a chance to purchase a Poly-Tech AK but was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of these guns. It is supposed to be about 3 years old, and a special lot that was imported with a threaded barrel and bayo lug, except they had a funky thumbhole stock on them. Owner says that the receivers were Pre-ban and held up in customs and Poly-Tech had to add stock to import and make legal. Gun has "poly-tech China" stamped on receiver and factory codes, etc. Has spring loaded firing pin--supposed to be uniquely Poly-Tech. Also has orginal box that shows it was imported by Kengs Firearms in Atlanta Georgia. Owner says that they were the only ones that were able to import these. Does anyone have one of these of heard of them. I thought I knew all there was about AKs but never heard of this one. Gun is in mint condition with lots of accessories. What would be a fair price?? $400, $500?? Thanks for any help

RW

------------------

I can' say by personal experience, but have often heard that Poly-tech guns are cheaply made and have a reputation for recievers cracking.

I am not familiar with this gun either, but if it has a milled receiver (not stamped)- it must be good, because Polytech AK's like the Legend (milled receiver) are probably one of the nicest AK copies there is. The stamped models like the AKS, are not that great.

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 02-13-99).]

Kengs imported some that were held up in customs. They were stamped reciver with muzzle nut welded on and bayonett lug ground on not off. This was to keep bayonett from locking on. The stock is a Choate draganov style. The finish is best chinese blueing job I've seen. When these guns were sold new wholesale was $329.99.

Three friends of mine purchased the rifles that JA described about 1 1/2 years ago. They have been pleased with them so far and have had no problems with them. Of course none of the rifles have seen more than about 1 or 2 thousand rounds and they are meticulously maintained. Their accuracy is a bit above average. I have a Bulgarian SA93 (milled receiver) and am very pleased with it. The models that are still being advertised are the SLR95. Basically the same rifle with the addition of a muzzle brake and a modified gas tube. If you can still find one of these I think that it would be your best bet. They are extremely well made and have excellant aftermarket support through KVar and a few other distributors. You can expect to pay a premium price for one now. The last one I saw in a shop was about $500.

Jager,
There has been a NIB SA-93 in my neck of the woods for sale for $360, I didn't know what it was so I haven't gone to look at it (I even placed a post on this site asking what it was). I was interested in geting an AK variant is this a good deal?
Hiker

If the price new was $329 wholesale, then his asking price of $400 would be pretty reasonable in todays market, right?

RW

------------------

rw
before you buy consider this i also had seen some ak's with threaded(not tack welded) flashhider w/o bayolug and was told there were some of what they called "transition" rifles in usa. however b-4 i spent money i contacted the (gasp) atf tech. div. in wash d.c just to cya incase i wanted to sell or trade down the road. spoke to owen townstad at least thats what he told me his name was. i was told if it was imported or sold after the crime bill ANY rifle w/threaded barrel or bayolug attached was in direct violation of the crime bill!!!
if you remove the lug and put a compensator on welded (fixed) it would be o.k personally i would look into this more b-4 you purchase that good deal may not be so good .

Back