Poly Public Defender . . .

Prof Young

So I know some of you may give me a hard time, but I've gone back to the Taurus Public Defender as my HD gun. The first one I had had more "metal" and this new one is the poly version. Most of the gun is poly. I've only put a dozen round through it so it's a touch stiff yet. Will load it with some of the special HD loads designed for the gun and leave it in the bedroom quick access safe. Seems like the ideal HD gun too me. Seems less likely to go through walls, gives one a better chance of hitting the target in a stress situation, and where I live (across the street from the police station in a rural town) there isn't going to be a gang invading my home so five shots should be enough.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young

There are better choices for a home defense pistol, IMHO. That's not necessarily a dig at Taurus, as S&W has skin in that game, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eariler this year I was looking at getting a Judge, the one with the 3 inch cylinder so I could shoot the longer .410 shells or when shooting the 2 1/2 shells have less recoil from the greater weight.

I ended up getting something else in .410 that I prefer not to speak about.

Anyway, my recent thoughts have been that the Public Defender, both poly and steel, are the best Judges available. By that I mean they have a greater usefulness than the standard Judge or Raging Judge. You can't teach size and the PD's are small enough they can be effectively conceal carried.

And I've come to the conclusion that if a gun is good enough for conceal carry, it's good enough for home defense as well.

Would the standard larger, heavier Judge be nicer to shoot? Yes, but those Judge's are not carry guns.

What I'd like to see Taurus do in the future with the Judge is make a Gen 2 that beefs up the cylinder a bit so the gun can handle .45 ACP and offer both a third or full moon clip.

EDIT: And for the record, I think so long as all the pellets of 000 Buck hit the target, it's a devastating stopper. The only issue with .410 buckshot is that the spread is not good for anything further than 7 yards away, which for inside the home distances... it's more than adequate.

...where I live (across the street from the police station in a rural town)

That's really convenient... what do you think their response time would be for a call? :-)

Always very intrigued with the 410 hand guns. Saw a few vids of them being shot. Looks like some hefty recoil.

If you want a shotgun for home defense, why not get one in 20 or 12 gauge with a stock that makes it more shootable? If you want a polymer handgun for home defense, why not get one that holds more rounds and is easier to shoot well than the poly defender?

I would think that the poly defender would be most useful as a carry gun in snake country or as a carry gun for a farmer that might need to dispatch pests near the chicken coop or barn at a moment's notice.

That said, if you can only have one gun and carrying in snake country or on the farm for pests is going to be the primary use, the poly defender could be used successfully for home defense.

I'm a huge fan of the .410 shell for HD. Personally I would want it in a pump gun for the increased velocity but I don't hate the judge/public defender series.

I also really want a taurus m85 poly protector. Every time I see one on sale it's more and more tempting.

one of my sons has one---seems quite pleased with it--his wife shoots it too--keeps it at the house for security.

I have the steel one that shoots 3" magnum shells.

When walking around on my BiL's property, no rotten melon or gourd is safe.

It wouldn't be my first choice for HD, but I have a lot of respect for what the 3" magnum buckshot shells can do.

gives one a better chance of hitting the target in a stress situation,
Where I don't see any problem with a PD Poly as a HD gun, do not be fooled by Hollywood, and TV BS. You still need to aim! Even a full sized shotgun, at what would be common HD range needs to be aimed.
The good side is that in my experience my Poly is capable of excellent SD accuracy. With eother the Federal Handgun 00 buck, or Winchester PDX1 45 Colt.
Mine is used as car jacker defense loaded with the Federal 00 first three up, with tje Winchester 45 Colt to follow.

Back