Polo-type Shirt Over IWB Carry

lwestatbus

I have been wrestling with concealment strategies in Florida where my typical attire while carrying is shorts, t-shirt, and an unbuttoned overshirt. My usual carry is an IWB strong side carry about at about the 4:00 O'clock position. But I have issues with my shirt blowing open walking to or from my car (we live near the ocean and get a steady breeze most of the time).

I'm considering changing to a polo or other closed bottom shirt worn outside the pants to conceal my handgun. This would, of course, require an extra move to bring my weapon into action.

Does anyone else carry this way? Any opinions on the practicality of this approach?

Thanks.

Larry

I find a button up shirt (buttoned) to me much more conducive than a polo type shirt. It just seems that they are cut more generously to allow for carry. It seems as though we have very similar carry styles.

I usually get the thin cotton Columbia/ Royal/ Robbins/ Mountain Hardware/ etc. type shirts. I'm a big guy and it gets equally hot here in AL.

I've worn a t-shirt (makes the holster more comfortable) and polo for years to CCW. If you are worried about the polo blowing around or not being long enough a 2nd sun shirt hanging open works well (I'm fair skinned so it works well to have the sun shirt on also).

In the decades I carried that way I haven't had any issues with it.

I saw a post on TFL a couple weeks ago about the new line of Woolrich concealed carry wear. As a result, I ordered four of the shirts, two in solids and two in plaid.

Bottom button is a false button; closure is held by magnets, and will resist wind but is easily opened by hand. Additionally, the bottoms of the side seams are Velcro closures, and can be ripped open if necessary.

I received the shirts five days after ordering directly from the Woolrich website, and have been carrying a full size 1911 IWB under them for the past few days.

They fit loose for size, but not excessively so. I normally wear size L; with the Woolrich L, there is enough room that the 1911 does not print, nor does the double mag carrier opposite side, although the fabric is light.

Here's a few, Cold Steel Roach-belly knife & a Ruger SR9.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535428.179242.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535428.179242.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 323
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535455.354328.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535455.354328.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 271
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535480.416662.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535480.416662.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 250
Here's the SR9 in a Crossbreed iwb rig

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535632.215355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336535632.215355.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 273
i normally carry my 1911 or sr9c in just a polo or button down shirt and a cheap ace iwb holster. when drawing your non dominant hand moves your shirt up as your dominant hand draws your weapon. ive never been a fan of open overshirts

I always wear a polo shirt when I carry. Never have a problem clearing the shirt from the firearm, but you should practice to get it down pat. You want to make sure that it fits a little loose.

I carry either a Gov. or Commander size 1911 in a OWB. I wear a wife beater T-shirt to keep the holster and gun from irritating my skin and just a T-shirt over that. Works for me. You may want to try a size larger than needed T-shirt to help avoid printing and for comfort

I have no problem clearing a polo. I pull with the offhand and rake my thumb up my side with the gun hand. Even if the weak hand is busy I can stull draw with the gun hand with the thumb leading the way.

Mike thanks for posting those shirts. Going to look into them.

You are obviously wearing your Polo's untucked?

Up here that's how we "make" guys carrying... everyone else tucks their shirts into their pants.

Any suggestions on how to tuck in a shirt and carry at the same time? Seems no good options for those of us who don't walk around untucked. The "tuck in" holsters are a pain to use.

Willie

It is a very practical way to carry and around here a pretty common clothing style in the summer (either that or North Texas is much better armed than I had imagined).

This would, of course, require an extra move to bring my weapon into action.

Take a look at this link: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?8796-Drawstroke-101

It does a great job of showing a 4-count drawstroke that works well with this type of carry. As Beentown 71 described, if you have both hands free, the off hand lifts the cover garment as you establish the master grip on count 1. If one hand is occupied, you use the thumb to rake the cover garment and have to be a little more deliberate about it. Like anything else with firearms, it has to be practiced to be proficient.

This also works with Hawaiian shirts (ever popular with gunwriters for that reason), guaybara shirts, etc. The knit polo shirts are a little more stretchy though which makes them a little easier to work with. Go with normal or relaxed fit polos that hang straight down. No tapered cuts and you probably want to avoid the polyester-stretch ones that tend to be more form-fitting.

I also wear shorts and an untucked polo in the summer and carry either a K frame Smith or my Colt Defender. If you practice a little it isn't a problem....

Slightly over-sized 100% cotton Polo shirt with stripes, untucked. If the wind is blowing, slip your strong hand causally into your pants pocket an inch or so, and hold the shirt bottom with your thumb. Works with IWB or OWB.

Polo shirts work good for some of you skinnier fellows, since reaching all the way across and lifting with the opposite hand is required for the draw. Either that or lifting with the same hand and then drawing.One way takes two hands, the other is slower.

I sympathize with the loose over shirt. If it's likely to blow in the wind, it's also likely to be clingly and hard to brush back to access the weapon.

If I wear a short sleeved shirt, it's a heavier one---like Cabela's Safari or something similar. I've found it not to be too hot in N. Nev. in the summer.

My favorite carry is the vest. Especially the one made by Bratwear. Just call in, they'll take your measurementsby phone and custom make it for you. It looks reasonably nice with black suede coller, has big pockets, including inside zippes on both sidesr for BUG, and it's compfy in the summer--at least for me. It's long enough to accomodate outside the belt carry.:cool:

Wasn't trying to change the subject away from polo shirts---they work well for some. But something else to consider.

Last edited:
I carry a revolver OWB with an untucked heavy cotton tee shirt or a polo shirt. Nothing thin or clingy. About half the folks around here wear their shirts untucked.

I bought a tuckable IWB holster (semiauto) for when I need to wear a suit -- might have to take off the jacket -- but don't have much occasion to dress up. It would also work with just a tucked shirt but I need to lose some weight. (just looser pants won't help unless I wear suspenders)

Not Really a Polo

Thanks for all of the great responses and ideas. The video clip on drawing is great. I had to chuckle at the post about tucking in polos. I don't really weal polos that often. But "polo" was shorter than "Reyn Spooner half-button Hawaiian shirt". My wife unjustly accuses me of having too many of these but they wear great and old geezers like me wear them untucked all the time.

The key thing to any conceal carry is that the shirt has to be oversized. Regardless of the style if it is oversized even if you tuck it in as with the crossbreed supertuck holster it will not be noticeable to the non-shooting public.

Back