Poll: Sig P220 .45ACP (8+1rounds) or P226 .40 (10+1 rounds) for home defense?

P220 hands down. It fits my hand well, I am accurate with it, and I prefer .45ACP to .40.

That being said, I would take the .40 if I had to. I have no problem using any SIG handgun!!

I too would recommend the P220. Especially for home defense. Not only is the .45 a great personal defense round, but it is less likely to overpenetrate and enter rooms where loved ones might be.

Oh, and I wouldn't rest your decision on the extra 2 rounds.

-Red-

For defense the .40 is about as well armed as I can be with a handgun. I don't believe the .45 can stop a guy with one shot just by "winging" him babble. Why do people still practice double taps with .45s if it isn't necessary? Only a shotgun would make me feel better armed to any handgun.

2 more extra rounds? Yeah, I'll take it in case I don't perform well under intense stress. I'm not a bad shot but personally I've never had to shoot at anything while fearing for my life.

Still, I planning to get a P220 in the future. I think its my favorite Sig and maybe my favorite handgun.

I prefer the .45 Auto.

I feel a lot more confident with that big slug. I don't want to rely on velocity and fancy bullet construction to get the job done. The .45 is already one hell of a bullet without expanding, and if it does- thats even better!

No handgun or rifle can stop anyone by just "winging" him. It doesn't matter if you have a .22lr or a 460 Weatherby, he's not gonna stop if you don't get a center mass shot. But I will say using the largest caliber you can possibly handle will increase your chances of immediately stopping the individual.

Good Shooting
RED

i'd go with the .45. i'm not that big a fan of Sigs because i don't paticularly like DA pistols. i have nothing against them though and i feel they are very reliable, accurate, well made pistols. the 220 also feels better in my hands than the 226.

i don't like the .40 as much as the .45 or 9mm because i don't feel it's balistics are any better and it recoils more. i can place several 9mm rounds on a target quickly and accurately which has more stopping power than a single round of .40.

in .45 for home defense i'd go with either a Glock 21 or any well made, reliable 1911 such as a Kimber. in .40 i'd take a Glock 22 and in 9mm i'd go with a Glock 19 (which is my current home defense pistol).

I prefer the P220 .45ACP over the P226 .40 cal. Why? Bigger holes and I'm more comfortable shooting .45's. But I wouldn't have a problem with using a .40 cal either. Magazine size isn't a concern with me. If I have to empty a whole clip into a BG and he is still comming, I just hope my shoe laces are tied tight.

I just went through the process of choosing between a P220 and a P226. I took my time and did my research. I posted here and on the Sig Forum. I rented both and shot them at the range. I talked to people that have owned them.

In the end I chose the P226.

In .357 Sig.

The only way to fly... It's bite is as big as it's bark. And boy oh boy does it bark.

No regrets to date.

Back