Model 70 featherweight or sporter?

• featherweight

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • sporter

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man I cant decide between these two...

Not the type to buy a ton of guns, reckon this is one of those that Ill have for a good while as an all purpose 30-06.

itll be my only (modern) centerfire, will be used at the range and hopefully to take animals as well. This is one of the reasons why Im not going for a lighter gun such as a browning/tikka- dont want it beating my shoulder up too bad. I like wood, so not into the stainless/synthetic options.

damned if I cant decide between the two- help me out gun nuts!

The new FN Model 70 Featheweight's have a recoil absorbing recoil pad that really helps.

My 270 FN Featherweight doesn't feel any different then my pre-FN Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

You don't notice the light weight when shooting it, but you sure notice the weight (or lack there of) when humping the mountains while elk hunting.

I voted Featherweight as it is one of my favorite guns of all time. In fact, while I can't argue the thicker black pad of the "new" ones (FNs) are superior functionally, aesthetically I'm a sucker for the ol' XTR and Classic Featherweights signature Winchester thin red pads--and just take it on the, uh, shoulder.

That said, .30-06 is as heavy a round I'd shoot through these Featherweights (Winchester made a limited number in .300 Win Mags out of the Connecticut plant..but there's a reason they stopped that chambering. Also, if you (OP) think you'll be primarily a rangemeister, the Sporter would be a better choice, and suck it up on the weight if actually spending a few days in the field. But I can't quite see getting a deer/elk gun strictly or primarily for the range! I spend just enough range time to get proficient for a chosen load or range of loads/bullets, but not enough to earn a master sniper badge like some do. (Gets a little spendy for one thing). I've done fine for 45 years with this scheme - and a Model 70 or two.

The Sporter will have a 24" standard weight barrel and the recoil won't be bad, at all. I have a 7mm Classic that's a dream to shoot; however, I don't lug it around - just for shooting houses.

Love my .270 Sporter-it's NOT heavy...at all (30-06 weighs 7# 4oz...featherweight weighs.......7#!)

IMO, it comes to wether you prefer a Monte Carlo style stock (which I do) and appearance, as weight is eseentially the same

I'd like the Featherweight too, just prefer the Sporter.....

I voted for the featherweight, probably because I'm a bit bias.
In the mid-80's I traded a Marlin 336/30-30 for a Winchester model 70 (featherweight) .270; the absolute best decision I ever made!
( although I did love that marlin)
The only thing I have done to it is replace the 4X scope with 3X9.
I have taken it through some roughest country in AZ (I was glad it was featherweight) to swamps of North Carolina and then back west to CA.
I have taken a ton of deer with it, a bunch of jackrabbits, a few yotes and
some other animals that were unlucky.
I taken my biggest deer and longest shot with this gun (both were the same deer).

Back