Poll for NON-Ron Paul voters only...

If you are not going to vote for Paul, who are you going to vote for?

• Giuliani

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Huckabee

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • McCain

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Romney

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unregistered

If you know you are voting for Paul, please don't participate, as I am trying to figure out who non-Paul gun owners will support for President.

So the question is:

If you are not going to vote for Ron Paul, who are you going to vote for?

McCain can beat Obama and Hillary. Huckabee is a loon...and Rudy and Mit both are democrats in republican clothes. Just my opinion.

I was for Fred. Romney has flip flopped on 2A. I think Rudy and McCain are pretty up front about being anti. Hoping Heller stops all this because I am not sure I trust Romney when he says he supports 2a, but I sure believe Rudy and McCain when they say they are against 2A.

At least McCain cared enough about the 2nd Amendment to vote for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

McCain doesn't request earmarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any problem with commenting about how McCain -- one of the choices in your own poll -- has voted in the past. In fact, McCain did cast a pro-gun vote to protect your ability to buy a gun, and he does not gorge from the earmark trough.

Yes, I'm trying to self-edit, but you beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least McCain cared enough about the 2nd Amendment to vote for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

McCain doesn't request earmarks.

Cared enough? Doesn't fly with me. Nothing like stripping the rights guaranteed by the 1st Amendment. If you can't have a voice, little else matters...

The campaign finance reform fiasco prohibits me from supporting McCain. He is an enemy of American Freedom. This is very sad because he sacrificed so much during the war to preserve it. All that matters is that today he is no friend of freedom regardless of what he has done in the past.

Giuliani is anti-gun - no vote from me.

Romney is also anti-gun and will not get a vote from me.

I agree with Huckabee on almost all issues (except that "put God into the Constitution" thing). I am a Christian and I respect the Christian Founding Fathers who guaranteed freedom from a state religion - regardless of what it is.

The campaign finance reform fiasco prohibits me from supporting McCain. He is an enemy of American Freedom. This is very sad because he sacrificed so much during the war to preserve it.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think McCain is a bad person. He suffered greatly to help preserve our great nation and my freedom. However, the issues he stand on and his voting record is what I also consider...

I am a Christian and I respect the Christian Founding Fathers who guaranteed freedom from a state religion - regardless of what it is.

That may be, but our FF and later gov't official certainly included God into not only our constitution, but everyday proceedings in the house and senate. If you haven't taken a gander at the various memorials in DC, check out the messages engraved into the stone.

I watched an informative special hosted by Newt Gingrich detailing just how intertwined the two really are/were...until recently.

For example, and I didn't know this, they used to hold prayer meetings/services before holding Congress.

Tuttle8 said:
My thoughts exactly. I don't think McCain is a bad person. He suffered greatly to help preserve our great nation and my freedom. However, the issues he stand on and his voting record is what I also consider...
No offense to any vets, but the Vietnamese were never a threat to America or our freedom. They neither passed nor enforced a single law in the United States, and they were never capable of invading and occupying us. (The Vietnam War CAN be seen as a fight for the freedom of the South Vietnamese, however.)

The US military does NOT fight for our freedom; this is a pervasive myth. The military is the tool of the US government, which is the only credible threat to our freedom. This may be a politically incorrect thing to say, and it may anger some, but it's also a fact. If a new AWB is passed in a couple of years, does anyone think the military is going to march on D.C.? How many other unconstitutional laws have they fought to get overturned? How about the National Guard helping to confiscate guns after Katrina?

Again, I'm not bashing vets, especially those who have been through some very trying or even torturous experiences. They deserve respect for the hardships they've faced. But we need to stick to the uncomfortable truth: the ONLY people who stand between freedom and tyranny in this nation are armed civilians (including many ex-military).

Thus, while I respect what McCain endured as a POW, he is nevertheless an enemy of our freedom right here in this country.

OTOH, I do like McCain's opposition to torture. On that issue, his own experiences have caused him to go against the GOP grain that wants to toss out traditional American values regarding inalienable human rights.

I have supported three people during this election...Duncan Hunter (dropped) Fred Thompson (dropped) and Mike Huckabee now.

Huckabee, in my opinion is most closely aligned with the views I have more closely than any other candidate.

If he somehow bows out or is not in the general election, then I will have to reconsider yet again.

SteelCore, I don't mean to offend you, but I don't think you have a very good understanding of the Cold War and what we were trying to do with Viet Nam. Perhaps, as we look back at history retrospectively, the Viet Nam War seems unnecessary, but at the time, countries were falling left and right to communism. We were trying to stop that spread before the world was consumed entirely.

No one was concerned about the NVA occupying the US. But we were concerned about the USSR occupying and/or nuking us.

The Viet Nam war was just one battle in the Cold War. And the USSR was pretty serious abou it.

That's a fact. They (the soviets...and chinese) were as serious in Viet Nam as they were during the Korean Conflict. And if you dont think Cuba was one click away from being a hot conflict, you're mistaken. We weren't all upset about a few AK's being smuggled in Havana.

Does anyone remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer became the leader of the Stone Cutters. This is the no Homers thread.:)

Steelcore, I don't find your statement offensive. A few years ago, I would have been quite angry and resentful. Now, when I see people having a viewpoint similar to yours, I can only feel deeply sad.

My father served in Vietnam. He and what was left of his friends that actually made it back have told me the real reason why they were there. I'm sure others that went have a different point of view, but after hearing their stories, I must say that you have absolutely NO clue.

So, are you saying the "tool" of the govt. is your enemy since you think they have and possibly will use it against us? How do you discern the difference between that and people willing to join the military? Whether you like it or not, IF something drastic would happen to America the military will be called to protect us first, not you, not me, not granny and her revolver.

The simple fact is our country doesn't have to be invaded physically to be threatened by other countries. This is one of the most overlooked thoughts. Nay, this is something that some people refuse to acknowledge...

So, I stand by my statement that John McCain suffered greatly to preserve this great nation and OUR freedom. I have weighed peoples' opinions on both sides over the years and my formed opinion will not waver.

And, let me interject one more item:

If you know you are voting for Paul, please don't participate, as I am trying to figure out who non-Paul gun owners will support for President.

Have you changed your mind, SteelCore?

My top pick is already out, Fred Thompson.

Of the remaining choices, Huckabee stands out as the best-- a solid social conservative.

He's also the only candidate that actually has a likable personality.

Unregistered said:
SteelCore, I don't mean to offend you, but I don't think you have a very good understanding of the Cold War and what we were trying to do with Viet Nam. Perhaps, as we look back at history retrospectively, the Viet Nam War seems unnecessary, but at the time, countries were falling left and right to communism. We were trying to stop that spread before the world was consumed entirely.

No one was concerned about the NVA occupying the US. But we were concerned about the USSR occupying and/or nuking us.

The Viet Nam war was just one battle in the Cold War. And the USSR was pretty serious about it.
No offense taken, but I did understand that Vietnam was about preventing the spread of communism. But whether Vietnam or other nations on the other side of the world fell to communism could not possibly have an effect on the ability of the USSR to occupy us or nuke us. We had a nuclear deterrent of our own, and a foreign occupation of the US would have been impossible. The USSR couldn't even occupy Afghanistan indefinitely, let alone the US.

Tuttle8 said:
Steelcore, I don't find your statement offensive. A few years ago, I would have been quite angry and resentful. Now, when I see people having a viewpoint similar to yours, I can only feel deeply sad.

My father served in Vietnam. He and what was left of his friends that actually made it back have told me the real reason why they were there. I'm sure others that went have a different point of view, but after hearing their stories, I must say that you have absolutely NO clue.

So, are you saying the "tool" of the govt. is your enemy since you think they have and possibly will use it against us? How do you discern the difference between that and people willing to join the military? Whether you like it or not, IF something drastic would happen to America the military will be called to protect us first, not you, not me, not granny and her revolver.
Well, it sounds like I have offended you, and I'm sorry about that. It wasn't my intention.

Nevertheless, I cannot think of a single unconstitutional law that the military has had overturned in this country. What if the "drastic thing to happen to America" is a gun confiscation, like the one the National Guard participated in after Katrina? Will the military be called to protect us from that?

Freedom is the absence of government coercion. The military does not fight for any such thing, since no foreign nation can realistically occupy the US. They are there to protect our safety -- and there's no question that's a worthy endeavor -- but they do NOT protect our freedom. Again: If they do, then why is everyone so worried about another Assault Weapons Ban? Won't the military fight to save our gun freedoms?

The simple fact is our country doesn't have to be invaded physically to be threatened by other countries. This is one of the most overlooked thoughts. Nay, this is something that some people refuse to acknowledge...
It has to be physically invaded for there to be a threat to our freedom. Remember, only laws limit freedom. Even if Russia nuked us tomorrow, that would have no effect on our freedom unless OUR government passed new laws as a result.

So, I stand by my statement that John McCain suffered greatly to preserve this great nation and OUR freedom. I have weighed peoples' opinions on both sides over the years and my formed opinion will not waver.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but we'll have to agree to disagree. I see the US government as the only credible threat to our freedom in this country and cannot imagine any foreign nation passing laws that we have to follow.

And, let me interject one more item:

Have you changed your mind, SteelCore?
No, so this will be my last post on this thread. I didn't mean to threadjack.

Back