Poll: Better 2nd gun...Ruger P97(.45) or CZ75b(9mm)?

TCW

Hi!
I currently have a Sig P220 for home defense. I also have a P97 in the same caliber. My question: Should I buy a CZ75B in 9mm (just to have something different), or should I keep the P97? I rented a CZ and liked it, but I'm not sure how these two compare in quality, longevity, etc. By the way, I cant carry (Kalifornia), so size is not an issue, and cant get hi-caps (Kalifornia), so capacity is not an issue.

Thanks!
TCW

I'm not sure that I would agree with the above statement that the CZ is superior to the Ruger "Quality wise", but I would agree that I would rather have the CZ.

Having owned a Ruger P Series, I found them to be a bit bulkier in the slide than they needed to be and slower to recover from recoil than the CZ, but it was never a question of quality that made me trade in the Ruger on another gun.

Rugers, in my experience, are utterly reliable guns that shoot straight every time you pull the trigger. The problems with Ruger automatics are that they're...

ugly and a bit overweight.

But that doesn't mean they're not a good gun for the value. They're just not designed like other guns. Ruger puts a value on function over form--in rifles and revolvers they seem to have struck just the right balance. In semi-automatic pistols, they went overboard on function for my tastes.

The CZ75B offers the benefit of classic styling and full length inside rails on the frame that allow for better accuracy in my hand. It recovers from recoil faster and holds a truer target. In addition, the curve of the backstrap is much more ergonomic than the P-Series Ruger.

But I don't believe it's a matter of quality, I believe it's a matter design principals. If I had to survive the Australian outback for a fortnight, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't want my hand gun of choice to be the Ruger P-Series...

My P97 was a jamomatic.I really liked it even though i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it,some Houge handalls really make it feel good in your hand.I do have the P97's brother,the P95 which i really like!!One of these days i will get another P97 though.I have the CZ75B and it is very nice,after you put some different grips on it.Very accurate also!!Bottom line...if i could get a dependable P97, i would choose it anyday(wish it held more than 8 though).

[Edited by Point Blank on 05-20-2001 at 10:09 PM]

I`ve had both, I still have the CZ-75B. They`re both good guns,reliable and accurate. As much as I liked the P-97 I prefer the CZ. It has a better trigger and it`s a lot more refined. As good as the Ruger was it was a little clunky, while the CZ is svelt and smooth. Since you already have a .45 a nice,cheap to shoot 9mm CZ would make a nice companion anyway. :) Marcus

Back