Polishing Stainless Steel

Schlitz 45

I saw a polished/tricked out Ruger SRH on the Gemini Customs site
https://www.geminicustoms.com/ruger-revolvers/?doing_wp_cron=1553459337.3291809558868408203125 very cool but not something I can afford to do on a beer budget.
So the last few weekends after shooting I've spent several hours polishing & cleaning my Alaskan just for something to do & it's starting to come around.
PDMqQ17l.jpg

lJiVprBl.jpg

A couple more weekends & a lot of elbow grease should get me where I want to be-there's a lot of small scratches still from the factory wheels that I'm going to take a step back with some micro mesh and smooth out before I start polishing again-"Guy's gotta have a hobby"

Very nice.

Just don't ever put it in a holster or use it in the field or you'll have to start over from scratch.

Oops. Sorry, I didn't mean to say 'scratch'... :D

Not a problem, I just like this one shiny for some reason? It's not close to a mirror finish yet & rides in a leather tanker holster from El Paso Saddlery when it goes into the woods maybe 4 or 5 times a year & I got nothing but time to make it shinier each time it gets shot or carried-ultimately I might get to the $750 level the pros want for polishing :)

So far just Flitz that I just ran out of. Picked up a can of Mother’s yesterday, I believe it has bit more abrasive quality that the Flitz. I should have the micro-mesh soon, got the assortment pack from 1500 to 12000 grit.

The trouble with high gloss is that you have to clean it meticulously all the time. Sure is pretty though.

My friend high gloss polished his Ruger 10/22 to a brilliant white (as if it was nickel). Then he gave it several coats of RIG gun grease. No rust to this day.

Don't forget to add some Ren Wax to keep it looking spiffy. (That is after you finish with the polishing.)

I was cleaning my Mk II SS Competition Model this afternoon, I've always kept it shiny but never polished it & seeing how all my polishing stuff was out I decided to smooth out the machine marks on the slab sided barrel. One side's done, it looks so much more finished & it only took two pints of Guinness :)
Before
BaeEoKKm.jpg

After
ozE5SJ7m.jpg

Back