Polishing SS: Mother's Billet vs Mag

wild cat mccane

Hey there,

I have polished SS revolvers with Mother's Mag. I have read on a few forum people recommending Mother's Billet instead because it will not be like the mirror finish of Mag. I bought the Billet polish, but...

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their SS revolver after hand polishing with Mother's Billet?

Thank you

I have been recommending Mothers Billet for sometime now on different forums. I use the billet simply because it is a little less aggressive than the mag polish. Sort of helps preserve the original finish. It is great for both Stainless and Nickel finishes. I follow it up with Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish to protect the finish. This way you also do not have an oily exterior to your firearms and it is protected from moisture and rust.

I actually use the Renaissance on all my firearms including blued finishes.

I have used neither product. If the billet polish leaves a less-shiny finish, that means it is more abrasive than the mag polish-meaning it's MORE aggressive.

I can, however, tell you to never polish nickel plated guns. The plating is extremely thin, and polishing removes metal. It is very easy to polish right through the nickel to the underlying steel.
You can safely polish nickeled guns 2-3 times if you are VERY gentle.

I use Flitz & microfiber cloth on my stainless guns for a mirror polish. The only thing better I’ve found was Master’s Formula that I was using on motorcycle billet parts that had a polish & sealer to keep the metal from oxidizing once polished but it was a bit expensive compared to Flitz.

So Billet sounds to be a finer polish than Mag? Meaning it will take more hand effort and likely end up with the same results? If it is slightly more hazy than Mag, Billet would have to be more coarse, which I don't think it is...

Gosh dang it. I bought it already. This is why photos need to be posted before people recommend something.

Go to this web site: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05106.html

Click on each product and compare what is stated. You can also adjust the aggressive nature of a polish by the applicator. I always use bronze wool whereas some people like 0000 steel wool. You can go even lighter with a cotton cloth.

I don't see a need to polish more than once and that is why I apply the wax to protect the finish.

I think your bronze wool is much more aggressive than the compound. I am quitebcertain cotton or microfiber is the correct applicator. Using bronze wool I would just apply a cheap lubricant and rub.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Back