Polishing Slide Rails?

MilesTeg

Has anyone here polished their slide rails or other mating surfaces on their pistols. I have a Beretta 8045 and the where the slide rides on the frame it is a bit rough in some spots. I was planning to take some Flitz. Is this ok to do? If so, what do you use and how have you done it.

Also, besides the feed ramp are there any other parts/areas that you would recommend be polished?

Thanks

Polishing the rails simply simulates wear and can cause a loose fit. Is the slide actually hard to work or grating, or do you just see high spots and want to make things neater? If the latter, don't worry about it, just shoot the gun.

Jim

Yep, it's just high spots. Looks like the Bruniton finish is speckled along the lower receiver where the upper rides. I was thinking about removing this speckling if it could cause a problem. No grabing or binding is going on that I can detect. I had also just read an article in American Handgunner where the reviewer always uses a little JB Bore paste on his rails and other areas that come together. Thought there might be something to it and wanted to ask. Definitely don't want to accelerate the wear. I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks

Shooting the gun will polish the rails in any spots they need polishing. Polishing them by hand may remove material where you don't need to.

Back