Polishing Feed Ramp

umstud

I own a Hk USPc .45 and a Walther P99 .40. I notice that the feed ramp on the HK is highly polished, but the ramp on the Walther is not. Is there an advantage in having the feed ramp polished? If yes, is it something that I can do myself or do I have to have it done by a Smith. I will be shooting an IDPA qualifier in the last sunday of August and I want to have the Walther in the best possible condition

We were taught that it is not how shiny your feed ramp is, but how smooth it is which affects the loading and chambering of your pistol. Many years ago I had my Browning ramp polished by a "smith" and it still didn't feed hollowpoints. The "smith" was that in name but not in knowledge.

It's not hard to smoothen a ramp at all. You can use fine emery cloth wrapped around a dowel (or better yet, around a mandrel). Just go slow because you want to avoid touching chamber area and thereby leaving the case unsupported. Test frequently and clean prior to testing (keep the grit out of the action). I try to remove any major rough spots and take it from there. Once the gun feeds reliably, I'll stop.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Just a note on this subject for 1911 do-it-yourselfers. You no longer have to install a ramped barrel or replace your frame if you get over zealous in polishing your feed ramp. Just got Brownells new catalogue yesterday and they are now selling a ramp insert to cover just such contingencies. George

Back