Polisher

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I thought I would pass this polisher/sander idea along. It is in the magazine, Woodsmith, in volume 38, edition 224, for 2016, so that would have been the last magazine back from the one out now. The one that this is in, has a cherry office desk on the front cover. It can be found on the net, in PDF. This station is constructed from plywood and MDF, and is similar to the polishing machine I designed and built awhile back. It would be easy to convert to polishing wheels, or use a drum sander on. They're using a 1/2 HP motor the same as I did, with a pulley reduction.

The one I built:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525807&highlight=baldor

The two round spindle extensions, consist of 4 round pieces of 3-3/4" dia. x 3/4" thick, MDF, each, that are glued, stacked, and fastened together, using 3, 1/4"-20 x 5-1/2" long carriage bolts, that go through the housing sides, with nuts on the end to pull them together. The end discs have large 1-3/4" center holes, for ball bearings to be seated into them, on either side. The 3 discs behind the ends are drilled out to clear the thru-shaft, with 1" dia. center holes.

Each frame side consists of two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together. One could easily use MDF for that, too. Overall, from the end face of the spindle extension, to the inside of the side frame wall, is 4-1/2". The two side frames are held 5" apart with plywood spacers. Overall, from the face of one spindle to the next, is 14". They are using a 5/8" dia. x 18" keyed shaft. However, one can cut flats on the shaft, for set screws, and it will work fine, plus save a good bit of money. I would use a 22" shaft, having 4" of stick out on either side, if it were me.

The round pulley guard on the front, is a section of white PVC pipe.

Sander.jpg

Copyright © 2016 Woodsmith

The idea is good.

The one thing wrong with it is the control switch is behind the machine.

NEVER place that important part in a location to cause the operator to reach over the machine in order to start and stop.

Ever had your shirt rolled up on a grinder? Not a lot of fun.

Two more drawings. If you can use them, I have a PDF with the drawing. Note, that these drawings are different than what is in the magazine.

Sander3.jpg

Sander4.jpg

Sander5.jpg

guncrank, that would be a good multi-purpose tool for a Gunsmith. The disc sander for fitting pads. One can remove the table and disc, and use a muslin wheel on both ends for polishing. Note, that they are using a flex shaft with this, too, by sticking the shafts end in a drill chuck.

After I looked at this, I think I would use a 3/4" shaft, like I did on the one I made a few years back. I'm pretty sure there's a 3/4" bearing with the same OD. You can get those shaft adapters, for the wheels, drill chuck, and others, from Caswell plating supplies, and they seem to be cheaper than Brownell's. I have a drum and flap sander to use with mine also.

It looks like one could make this out of one sheet of 3/4" plywood or MDF.

dakota.potts, That would be fairly easy to make. One could make a trunnion for the table, with a router, and a circle cutting attachment. I'm thinking about making one, the more I look at it.

The one in the magazine has a hinged motor mount, so the motor weight tensions the belt. I'm looking at another way to do that, from the way they have it. I'd like to see how well their idea works in wood.

Back