Polished breech face

Mylhouse

Excuse the ignorance, folks, but I have heard a lot of people polish the breech face of their pistols as part of a "reliablity" or "customizing" package. I also notice that new Kimbers are coming out that way, whereas my 1 year old Custom Classic does not have this feature. I have always held to the tenet of leaving mechanical objects as stock as possible (cars and guns alike). What are the advantages of having the face polished? I have never had any problems, but I noticed that the breechface of my old Glock 22 has a very uneven surface (it feels smooth to the touch, but looks like it has tiny little dips and valleys).
Gracias

As the base of the case feeds up from the magazine, it needs to slide accross the face breech. If the surface of the breech is smooth, it helps ensure the case won't hang up and result in a jam.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I have polished the breechfaces on my two Kimbers, one old and one new. Nothing fancy just some crocus cloth glued to a popcycle stick. Be very careful not to overdue it...it will get slicker than a babies butt within a few minutes.

Better yet, get your local smith to do it for you...he may do it while you wait!

Back