POLISH

Runner

I occasionally see stainless steel weapons that have been polished (after market) to a very high shine. What equipment is needed, and what advise is there for performing this upgrade?

I am going to guess that a polishing wheel on a grinder and some type of polishing compound is used??

[Edited by Runner on 02-14-2001 at 06:40 PM]

A friend of mine sat down one day with some metal polish and a rag, and in a couple of hours had his S&W satin stainless revolver looking dangerously close to my factory polished Rossi!I think you could use any polish that specifically refers to stainless on the label (brasso & noxon are the 2 that i have) :)

Get some Flitz and a piece of leather.
That was all I needed to put a shine on my Ruger Redhawk and SP-101. If you need to remove some scratches first, try 600 grit sandpaper or 000 steel wool. Sand lightly.
I think they look better polished.

Definitely nothing rougher than 600 grit

Try some 1500 grit paper as a last step before polishing with Flitz (or similar). I have a bright (mirror) stainless Officers' 1911 with checkered cocobolo grips that's a beauty. I put a mirror shine on the bolt of my 10/22 with just 1500 grit paper.

I've never had the guts to try and polish a gun, but I did do some extensive restorations of sports cars. On the really grungy aluminum parts I started with 600 grit, working up to 1200 grit. Then I used polishing compounds along with a buffing wheel. Honest to God, some of those parts looked like chrome. Since you probably don't have a lot of corrosion on your gun, I think you could skip the coarser paper and go right to the ultra-fine grits.

Good luck. Can you show us a pic when you're done?

Dick

Brothers & Sisters-at-Arms,
Speak to a custom engine shop! They'll tell you that the quality of metal will produce a high grade shine as MONKEYLEG pointed out. (Standard parts become custom parts by the same method. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.)
Absolutely true. And cost saving!
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Back