police rifles in .223 / 5.56mm?

max popenker

Hello

can anybody give me a list of some US Police depts that issue the 5.56mm/.223 rifles as a service weapons (for patrol cars, swat teams etc)

not all, just few major names will be enough :) i've heard that LAPD got M16 and CAR-15, and NYPD got Mini-14... can anybody prove it? also, i've heard that some depts issue H&K G-36s. Which ones?

thanks in advance

IIRC, LAPD purchased used M16's from the DoD and then had them converted to semi-auto only.

Although not a major agency, my local Sheriff's Department used to carry Mini-14s in patrol cars. Due to the publicity back during the assault weapon fiasco around 1990, they halted that because they feared bad publicity if the media ever got them for using an "assault weapon" on some citizen. They didn't want to be seen using the same evil rifle that the democrats were trying to ban.

Interestingly, that same agency at about the same time sold their AC556's and since they were pre-'86 models, they offered them to the public. They even ran ads in the classifieds for them.

Back