Police Retro Build

Old Bill Dibble

I picked up a extremely well used late 50s Wingmaster for cheap the other day. The finish on it is about gone and the front sight post is missing. The barrel is 18"+ and there is no extended magazine. The action feels surprisingly tight and it cycles easily. The dirt had built up on it so heavily that serial number was not readable without a lot of cleaning.

I want to do an era Police Style rebuild on it. Any ideas about police models of that day would be appreciated.

I was thinking:

- Parkerizing
- Original style sight post
- Era sling

Not sure what else hence the thread. I'll throw a picture of it up later. Till then:

police_trainees_range.jpg

I think they were just rifle sighted smooth bores. No parkerizing, blued. Possibly hand-me-downs from the military though. The finish would depend on the Department's budget. Just like now.
That sling looks like a standard issue M1 Rifle style on readily available sling swivels. You'll have to drill a hole in the mag tube cap and screw in the rear stud though. Isn't horribly difficult.
Cabela's, Wally World etc sell the whole Uncle Mike's sling swivel 'kit' for $22 and change. Mag cap comes with the swivel installed.

I was looking at 1960s. The mag tube cap (which looks original) has a hole in it already. I am thinking leather sling if I can find one.

Got about half the dirt off it today. Everything seems to functions soundly. The wood is in better shape than I thought.

Old Bill, I think your idea is a good one. I completely converted an early 70's era Wingmaster to a Police version. Changed the barrel, slide, slide bars, carrier, bolt and dog carrier latch spring to newer versions.

It came with ~24" improved cylinder fixed choke that can be used for gaming if needed. I of course kept that original barrel.

Well I got her cleaned and up and put some modicum of finish on it. Took it to the range and it ran like a top with 75 shells of slugs and shot with zero issues.

Put a stainless bead sight on it.

Some notes:

- It shoots fast, faster than my issued, much newer 870 SBS. I think is partly because the action is smoother and partly because the longer barrel allows a quicker recovery time and less muzzle rise. I can put four on target as fast as I can run the pump. I can run the pump pretty fast.

- Four shots simply feels like not enough. I think I will get a +2 mag extension.

- Needs a recoil pad. The plastic plate that is on there now slides around a bit and does nothing for my shoulder.

I think four shots, as long as you have some shells on the gun, is fine. That's what I run, and I'm a tactical GOD okay?? :D

Really though, I think if you look at the statistics 4 round of 12 gauge buckshot is plenty. Hell, lots of state troopers and cops run 4+1 to this day. Here is my newly made Remington 870 Police:

20160904_170357_1.jpg

Also, it kind of makes me chuckle when folks say "aw yeah man, my old Wingmaster from 1950 when is SO much smoother than my new 870!", well no dip Sherlock! That gun's had half a century or better to get shot and done smoothed up as it were. Your new 870 will get just as slick with time and a ton of shells like those old shotguns have seen.

In the 60s the Police Models were Parkerized, which is NOT the same as matte black, dull finish walnut furniture, and all that I remember had the black rubber (hard) Remington buttpad. Change the lifter dog spring and the sear spring to the Police models, and you're there except for the sling.

Back