Police Positive

LilJoe

I have the chance to buy a Colt Police positive that has never been fired and never been owned by anyone other than the dealer. Does anyone know what a good price for this would be? It needs a TLC cleaning.

Caliber and age are important in judging value, as older guns bring more. A pre-WWII gun in true 100% will bring $450-500; a post war gun around $100 less. Oddly, in spite of the magic Colt name, there is only minimal collector interest in the swing cylinder DA's, though ones like you describe get most of their value as collectors items. If he has the box and papers with it, that adds some to the value.

For less than 98%, the value drops rapidly; with an average (say, 70%) finish, the value is only $200-250.

Jim

I've been buying one gun per week lately, and picked up a mint Colt Police Positive in 38 Special at the Houston gun show today. Paid $280 total for it. I had to decide between it and a S&W 36 with a 3 inch barrel. Since I already own a 36 with the shorter barrel and don't own any Colts yet, the PP came home. Mine has a terrific trigger pull and a 21XXX serial number, so I guess it goes back to the early 1960s. I bet it's dead accurate and I can't wait it out at the range tomorrow. There's just something about those old 38 revolvers.

Back