Police Academy

xMINORxTHREATx

Not sure if this should be in this area, or another, but here it goes.

I'm going to go through the police academy in the spring time, and was wanting to ask the LEO's on here for some advice and what to be ready for.

I know it varies from state to state, so if there are any Ohio LEO's here, I would greatly appreciate the input.

I have a military background (combat engineer) and extensive shooting experience. I'm physically fit (when I want to be) and I am very level headed under pressure.

So what all is involved in the academy. I've looked and looked online, but everything is very vague about it.

Also, if any Ohio LEO's have tips for getting on at a department, or really just any advice at all, I'm all ears. :)

Thanks in advance.

haha, yeah I feel ya. I wouldn't mind relocating out of state. I lived in Phoenix and really liked it there. But that would mean taking the academy all over again, because each state has different requirements and all.

yah but ohios standard is so tedious and in depth an lot of other states accept ohios training so you may not have to go through all of it again just parts of it

I went through the academy (Anchorage, AK) a long time ago so I don't think I could help much. I just find it odd that one has to go to the academy then find a job. I thought you got hired and they sent you to the academy.

I guess things are different all over.

Anyway when I went through, if you can walk into the Dr. office, you past the physical. Wasn't much physical activity at our academy. All it consisted of was climbing up a ladder of a ladder truck to see if you freaked out.

Actually we got hired and hit the street before the academy. We worked until they had enough people to have an academy.

Not much (or any) help I know. But shooting is a small, minor, part of police work. I don't know about now, but prior military wasn't a lot of help back then (no body liked Vietnam Vets, we were all wacko baby killers). Hopefully that has changed.

I would think, that if you had to go to the academy before you got hired, the hiring agency would be looking for the top standings in the academy but that's just a guess.

One thing I do know that still holds today, and everywhere is, They are there to instruct you, not the other way around. They don't want to hear how "IT"S" done elsewhere, or that you know a better way. Keep your mouth shut unless you are asking a legit question. They don't want to hear "in the army we did X, or in state Y, they do it this way.

i havent done any ride alongs not realy a requirement though would be a good way to gather information from the veterans. but i do think the acadamy is mandatory before being able to be hired.

In Ohio, you have to finish the academy before you can start. Other states won't let you go to the academy unless you get hired first. So it varies.

Trust me, I know when to speak, and when to listen. Haha. Thats one thing I learned the hard way in BCT.

I shot expert with my rifle every time, but I didn't shoot the way they wanted me too, and when I tried to help a squad mate by suggesting my method, I got smoked for like an hour.

Minor Threat

Good for you...

First off... If you want to get a hand up on your academy training. Invest in ink pen's. (black medium) 75% of police work is writing reports. 20% (for me) is writing summonses. Of all the tools issued/purchased by you the firearm is by far the least used. That is while on routine patrol.

That being said ... The firearm is the one tool that MUST work without failure each and every time. Most police departments choose firearms based on extensive testing, and tourture trials. Not all make it. IMO you would be best served considering those used by the agencies you intend to apply to.

Like Kraigway I had to be investigated, be medically cleared, and hired before I was allowed to go to the academy. I had to purchase my firearm from the department, and couldnt even pick it up until I was 4 months into the academy. But we did have a wide variety of handguns to choose from. We was allowed any handgun we wanted as long as it was a 4" blue steel revolver with fixed sights in .38spl, and was manufactured by Colt, or Smith & Wesson.

Good luck in the police academy. Listen to your instructors. They know what they're talking about.

Thanks Glenn Dee.

There are a few big city departments around here who have switched to the M&P (which I own a 9mm version of) in various calibers. Most others use Glocks, a few use Sigs, and I've seen one department using XDs.

I've decided to get a degree in Criminal Justice as well, and was told by some people that the degree looks great when your trying to get hired on, and others have told me it's not as important as it sounds. Any advice on this? I don't wanna waste two years worth of tuition.

I'm sure that getting the degree will enhance your qualifcations. Many agencies, and departments require some higher education for employment or promotion. It may take a while to pay off for you... but I doubt that it will be a waste.

Glenn D

I trained my Buddy's Wife, prior to her Academy, she did really well with one of my Glock 17's, in 9mm. She was issued a pistol for the Dept; she was going too, a steel S&W in .40 calibre.

My advice, listen a lot, two most used words to take with her "Yes Sir" and if asked, "I never fired a pistol b/4 I came here"

When she finished second top shot out of 41? "You are so full of S+++ girl"
The Firearm Instructors comment on not firing a pistol prior to their instruction.

I couldn't yet tell you about the academy as I haven't went yet, but I decided to get my degree first, I'm one semester away from a bachelors in criminal justice. Having a degree couldn't hurt, in fact in my researching of jobs I found that a few of the departments in the nicer suburbs up here in Michigan are now requiring bachelors degrees. However I will have to probably move out of state to a department that pays you to go to the academy, as going to the academy up here I would have to pay for and would not be able to hold a job because of the time the academy takes up. I have bills to pay or else I probably would have already taken the academy.

Good luck in your pursuit of a law enforcement career, maybe our paths will cross one day in the field.

also one more note, for jobs check out this web site they have great information, and job listings for every state:
http://discoverpolicing.org/

A regular at my the bar I work at told me about this website. I think he does something for the site, he's an ex patrol officer, who now works in the state capital helping out with some sort of training.

Back