Pointers for Sig P226

Doug.38PR

I have decided not to wear my recently bought Sig P226 since I have never fired one, or any DA automatic. Figure it best not to carry a gun I am not familiar with. Better to wait until I have taken it to the range and mastered it.

That being said, could anyone offer some pointers? Sigs apparently don't have any lock like the 1911. Is it safe to carry one loaded in the chamber in DA? Of course I carry my revolver the same way all the time. But is it safe to carry with the hammer cocked back and have it in SA? Is there a way to lock it or is it a concern (glocks are carried that way all the time even though they don't have hammers).
How do you go from DA to SA on a sig? Can you do DA every shot or only the first shot? In other words can you, in any way according to the guns design, alternate between DA and SA through the clip (magazine :D )

ALSO, what is the best kind of 9mm ammo out there. I typically carry 158 gr LWCHP +P in my .38 special. For the 9mm, I just got what little I could out of the selection at Acadamy yesterday for and got Hydrashoks in 124 gr.

it is not safe to carry the sig cocked, it is safe to carry with hammer down and one in the chamber since it has a firing pin block.

How do you go from DA to SA on a sig? Can you do DA every shot or only the first shot? In other words can you, in any way according to the guns design, alternate between DA and SA through the clip (magazine )

After the first DA shot the gun switches to SA of course. If you want to switch back to DA, just use the decocker and lower the hammer. If you want the next shot to be SA after you have used the decocker, just pull the hammer back and youa re back to SA. I hope this is what you are talking about :p .

After the first DA shot the gun switches to SA of course. If you want to switch back to DA, just use the decocker and lower the hammer. If you want the next shot to be SA after you have used the decocker, just pull the hammer back and youa re back to SA. I hope this is what you are talking about .

Well, I seem to remember somebody telling a years ago before I even thought about buying a DA auto that you could set the gun to do DA on every shot, the hammer somehow can be set to come back up after every shot reseting the gun to DA mode.

Well, I seem to remember somebody telling a years ago before I even thought about buying a DA auto that you could set the gun to do DA on every shot, the hammer somehow can be set to come back up after every shot reseting the gun to DA mode.
I'm pretty sure it can be done by a 'smith, but keep in mind that it will undoubtedly void the warranty.

As was already mentioned, the SA/DA version is double-action only on the first pull of the trigger, and only if the decocker was used after racking the slide.

Carry one in the chamber, but in DA mode.

1. Insert the loaded magazine.
2. Rack the slide.
3. Use the decocking lever to safely drop the hammer into DA mode. (Edit: keeping your finger off the trigger).
4. Carry in DA mode.

~Ichiro

Be sure to read the manual all the way through, and handle the gun empty until you know how everything works. Then shoot the heck out of it.

Back