Pointed or Parker Hale" style jags?

Gabe1972

Pointed or "Parker Hale" style jags?

I finally broke the piece of junk three piece cleaning rod I had, so I purchased a Tipton 36" carbon fiber rod. While at it, I purchased a couple of brass jags and nylon brushes, but I wasn't sure if I should get the pointed kind or the "Hale Parker" wraparound kind. In the end I decided to go with what I know, being the pointed kind, but what do you think of the wraparound type? Are there any better or worse, or is it simply personal preference and neither is really better or worse than the other?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Really doesn't make much difference. I suppose there is an argument that says a wrap around has a greater risk of leaving a patch in the barrel, but it'd be a really silly argument. Always opted for whatever's cheap or on sale myself.

Although I saw some reviews where people said it cleaned more thoroughly, I'd be a little afraid that, even though it's held in place by force, the patch may come off of the jag and then you've got brass against the rifling. I realize it's only brass, but still. I'd rather know for sure that the patch is in place. That's the one thing that made me go the way I did.

I appreciate the reply.

How about wrapping the cleaning patch around a brush for best effect.
That way it can't get loose and it also has good pressure on the bore surface.

smarquez,

Now that's an interesting looking thing. I've always had decent results with traditional methods, but that looks like it might be something that is at least worth a try. Maybe next time I get some supplies I will get one of these. I locked the page in my favorites. Thanks.

Back