point of perm flash hider? pros/cons?

geist

Inactive
i was looking at some uppers from cmmg and some of them are 11.5 or 14.5 but then have perm flash hiders. what are the pro's and cons of this? how does it affect performance? can these later be removed by gunsmith to convert the rifle to sbr somehow? also if you would like to add a suppressor later do they attach to the flash hider, is there a specific one you need in this case?

If you live in a locality that requires you have no threads on your barrel, the permanent flash hider is one option. If you live in a locality that has no restrictions on the EBR then there really is no point to the damn thing IMHO. It would make far more sense to me to just buy a 16" model with a threaded barrel, as the whole point of the permanent FH is to get you to 16" anyway. If you want to go the SBR route, it would also make more sense to me to just have your 16" barrel shortened to the length you want, or simply buy a new barrel.

As for suppressor attachment, it kind of depends on what suppressor you want to attach. Some of the QD mount suppressors attach directly via the FH, but there are none I know of that would attach to those silly permanent FH's. There are several FH choices out there to host a suppressor, or if you have a threaded barrel, you could always just get a thread-on suppressor and use what ever FH you want when the suppressor is not attached.

Last edited:
These weapons have permanent flash hiders so that their OAL is > 16".... therefore the resulting weapon will not fall under the NFA.

Back