Pocket holster for J-frame?

treeprof

Any recommendations for something that will minimize printing and stay put while drawing my 642 I've tried out Galco and Hume models in stores, but they are a bit wide for jeans. I like the looks of the Kramer (but have not had opportunity to try one), and a fellow I know has carried a Thad Rybka for some time. Any other suggestions?

Try Wild Bill's. I have used one for about a year and a half. He made a great sales presentation when I asked him to see a model to try it on, he pulled one from his pocket and said "Here ya are." Never saw it in the pocket. I mainly use it on duty, where it disappears in a set of uniform pants nicely.
The exterior is rough to keep it in the pants and the end is hooked so you do not draw the holster with the gun. The interior is smooth, providing a positive release.
I believe he also makes a small leather square that can be attached to the holster, to help break up the imprint.

I use a Kramer and love it . I have tried the Galco and the Wild Bills but did not care for them , the Wild Bills I received would not begin to go into my pocket . The best is the cheap Uncle Mikes nylon job if you want the least printing . I use them with jeans so they all print a little . Good luck , Mike...

I have had the problem of removing the holster from my pocket. Kind of a pain in the tush, and it moves around in a deep pocket or one with alot of space. But it beats the ankle rig that almost lost my gun.

The secret to pocket carry is to get the right pair of pants, with large pockets.

I have carried a glock 33, and taurus 44 special in my pocket, even the glock 29 will fit in a couple of pairs of pants I have. I use an Uncle MIke's pocket holster, and a homemade plastic insert to prevent printing for the glock.

I have a Kramer horsehide pocket holster for my J-frame Airweights (Models 37 and 38). It's a quality product that has held up very well through several years of use. At around $65-$70 it's not cheap. But it's a definite keeper.

BTW, the leather will eventually tarnish a nickel finish, even if the gun is removed and wiped down daily. It seems to be okay with a blue finish. I don't know about any effect on stainless.

Despite my tendency to find more elaborate solutions, I've found that an $8 Uncle Mike's pocket holster works great with my 642.

Make that $50 for the Wild Bill's pocket holster ... I've just checked his sight. It is $45 + $5 s/h. If someone finds a pocket holster on his sight for $25 ... my mistake! Would ya let me know? The best pocket holster I've come across was a nylon interior / suede exterior no-name that I picked up at a gun show for $18. Absolutely NO print from my j-frame and quick presentation from jeans or "dockers". Sorry I can't offer a name.

I just picked a Wild Bill's up at the last show for $25. It is usually a special he runs at shows. Just email me, I might be able to get one at that price for you.

I've been carrying my S&Klinton Mdl. 60 for years, in a Milt Sparks pocket holster. It works fine in both jeans (Wrangler's, of course), or dress slacks.

A good friend of mine carries his Mdl. 36 in a Kramer Pocket Holster and he loves it. I've tried his in my pocket and it feels comfortable and draws easily.

Either of those two work for me. J.B.

Thanks for al of the input. I ended up getting a Kramer, and having carried it the past few days, I think I made a good choice (tho probably not the only good choice).

treeprof,
I have used a Kramer for about four years now and I am happy with it. I think you made a good choice.

It's hard to beat a Kramer for a J-frame. As an alternative, however--while it's not a traditional "holster"--you might want to look into the Barami Hip Grip. It's convenient, comfortable (at least in my experience), and provides essentially total concealment. Moreover, unlike a pocket holster, it provides easy accessibility to your weapon when seated or riding. I have one J-frame in a Kramer and my other one fitted with a set of Baramis. Sometimes I carry one setup and sometimes I carry the other, depending upon various circumstances. But if I had to choose one to the exclusion of the other, I would pick the Barami Hip Grip, despite its strange appearance. It's just a really neat product.

billy506

I use a Uncle Mikes for my J-Frame.

Sure I love leather as much as anyone, but for ~$8.00 you cant beat it! It hides the profile great. Plus it's thin enough that it works great in a pair of jeans or a coat pocket (where it rests as I type).

My $.02

Chris

Back