"Pocket Gun"Confusion-Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Inactive
Hey,

I am so confused.I bought a Kel-Tec P32 recently.I already want to get rid of it.I don't think I want this gun if the SHTF.
Yes,I know.."any gun is better than no gun"that's true,but I'm talking about getting something in a better caliber.I have a CCW permit and my G-27 goes with me virtually everywhere but to me it is not really a "pocket pistol".
That is where I thought the Kel-Tec would be handy,it's not though.I just can't stake my life on the 32acp.
Many here have said that a 38spl is more pocketable than a G-27 and I believe that.What should I do? Sell the Kel-Tec and get a good small 38spl? The recoil and all wont be an issue because I practice alot with all of my guns.
So.what would you go with?And just for the heck of it nominate the gun you think would best suit my situation.Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!I value the opinions from the people of this forum more than any gun magazine.

Thanks,

Bobby

If you get much smaller than the mini Glock, pretty much your only choices are .22, .25, .32 and .380... The Kahr MK9 9mm is smaller, but very heavy (kahr.com). AMT makes small .380s, but they're not the most dependable guns in the world. But judging by sales figures, LOTS of people are willing to depend on the .32... Lots of manufacturers are rushing to build one, and they all sell... Some feel that the convenience of a throw-it-in-a-pocket gun is not worth the extra piece of mind they get from a more potent caliber. I mostly carry a Sig P232 .380 which some (most) consider to be pretty feeble, but it's terribly comfortable in an IWB holster... But this is only until I get my Kimber Ultra Carry .45 running right... I would like a Seecamp .32 someday, the only .32 I would consider. Just weigh your chances of ever having to use a gun against your willingness to lug around Heavy Metal.

Hang on to the Kel-Tec and use it as
a back up or boot gun. Check out the
aluminum framed .38 Special snubbies
from S&W or Taurus. During the winter
I carry a S&W 442 in a Kramer pocket
holster in the breast pocket of my
suit coats, I don't feel undergunned.

I have larger caliber pistols I carry
sometimes in a fanny pack but the more
you carry the more you will tend to
gravitate toward small size and less
weight. My 2 cents.

I dont blame ya. i wouldnt wanna rely on a .32 for my lifes protection either. but you gotta pay the price for full protection. In my opinion the para-ordnance 45 is very leathal yet fits in the palm of your hand. If i were you i would look into this model.

P.S dont forget about the Kel-Tec 9MM model.

------------------
TIM : )

All I can say is: Don't trust your life to the little gun that you don't trust with your life.

The Smith .38 Spl. J frames are "pocketable" in the front pocket of my jeans (a tough test).

Good luck on your search.

Please also note that in the end, you notice weight in a concealable pocket gun every bit as much and even more than you do size. To this end, the Smith J frame Airweights are great, and Taurus' Total Titanium snubbies are really neat at 11 oz! Kel-Tec's P-11 is pretty formidible at 15 oz for an 11-shot 9mm-- it's just a tad larger than a J-Frame.

I would look into the new taurus total tinum are very nice i blive 18 ounce. i have shot them on the range they shoot very nice. the smith and wessons are also very nice. there triger is a bit smoother. i would go check those out. And the prices for thoes are preaty good.they wont cost you an arm or a leg

You will get SO many opinions on this...

That said, as someone who has had to draw and fire their gun in self defense, I would like to convey that when you need a gun, you will pray to God you have the biggest, baddest one you could carry.
People tend to become complacent and get smaller and smaller guns. The little gun becomes a totem. Sometimes it is good to have a scary moment every once in a while to remind you why you carry a gun.

I recently read an account of a man who was in a business meeting at a downtown land site when a BG came up and pulled a gun on the businees group. He said his first thought was "Did I pack the .45 or the .380 today?....son of a bitch....since I was going to a busuiness meeting I packed the smaller gun...I don't think I could take him with it before he shot us all...".
When you really need your gun, that easy-to-carry pocket pistol is not going to seem so adequate.
I never carry anything smaller than a 9mm, except on rare occasions when I carry a .38 special (S&W Titanium), but it is VERY rare that that is all I have, and that is always on top of a good folding knife and many years of martial arts.

I suggest you convince yourself to make the Glock 27 work, and you will learn to work with it. You will discover carry methods that work for you, and find out how to wear clothing that covers it all.
(I love the Belly Band for ultra concealment)

I have grown fond of the concept of a "ready gun". When you need to go really concealed, sometimes your primary gun is a little hard to get to, especially seated in a car. You use the more convenient gun as your "ready gun" that buys time to get your "primary gun".
Keep the Kel-Tec .32 as a "ready gun", always in your pocket or within quick reach, and use it as a time buyer to get to your primary, which may be under your shirt. I often use my .38 Special snubbie as a "ready gun" on my left side (also can be a backup if the primary, or my right arm, fails). My primary is on my right, my ready gun/backup is on my left.

I think you have one of the best guns around. I carry a Glock 33 or 32. My KelTec 9mm has a lot of firepower, but when I use it in combative shooting, the difference in performance of the Glock is much much better because of the trigger.

Kahr has a Polymer model coming out that will only be 16 ounces with 7 rounds of 9mm.
IMO, I have been convinced by members of this forum that 5 rounds of .38 special in a snubbie that can be fired in the pocket, easily and reliably, is better than 7 rounds of 9mm in the Kahr.
When capacity gets up there to 10 rounds and beyond, I can see carrying the 9mm auto over the .38 Special, but I will trade a couple of rounds in the Kahr for the reliability and versatility of the .38 snubbie. There needs to be a significant increase in capacity or power to make me move up from my snubbie to an auto, (either more capacity or a much more powerful cartridge). This is all, of course, IMHO.

For a ready gun/backup, I would go with the S&W Titanium Airweight (model 342) snubbie at 11.9 ounces with .38 Special +P ammo and possibly a Bianchi speed strip with 6 rounds more of extra ammo. Practice shooting and reloading, and learn the proper ways to use a revolver combatively (I am just beginning to learn) and you can get pretty proficient with the snubbie.

Your getting some good advice.
Ditch the .32...
There are many good guns to use.
I like my Kimber Pro Carry.
My wife likes her Springfield V-10.
For smaller still guns - Colts Pocket 9 is actually very good.
Walther PP in 9MM is good - if you can find them. Micro Kahr too...
.44 mag Derringer is formidable.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I currently have several carry guns - Taurus model 85 multi-alloy ti, Sig p228 (getting laser grips) and taurus pt111.

I am thinking though of getting one of the new big caliber taurus TI models - 44 spec, 45 long colt, or 41 magnum. I was told by Corbon that their ammo was clocked at over 1000 fps out of the 44 spec and 45 long colt, which is quite good for a large caliber in a snubbie. 41 magnum of course clocks well, but I am unsure of how much kick their would be. These guns will fit in your pocket and are Lightweight, and should be adequate to stop any would-be attackers if you are a good shot.

I highly recommend the 38 stubby. It's the easiest "real gun" I've tried to carry. HOWEVER, a friend of mine and I got Taurus Ultralites at the same time about two years ago and we are both starting to have problems with them. Both have had more than 750 rounds through them. I would recommend spending a little more money and getting a S&W airweight.

JMHO,
Gino

It is better to be cheated in price than in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back