Pocket carry and lasers. Any issues?

groverdill

So I've been pocket carrying my LCR in a Desantis pocket holster for some time now, and I like this carry method for a number of reasons. I've been wanting to add a Crimson Trace laser grip, and I'm going to pick one up next payday. Does anyone have experience pocket carrying a firearm with a laser, and does it cause any problems? Specifically, does the laser get knocked out of alignment, or does the button get activated by movements like squatting or twisting? I know it's not likely, but we all know Murphy's Law can rear it's ugly head at the worst times. So, any experience with this? Thanks.

Mike

Just don't learn to rely on the laser as a crutch no matter the method of carry. Always practice without the gimmicky, and get used to hitting your target without it. You mentioned Murphy, and when you add him to circuits and batteries you are increasing you odds for disaster.
If you want to hang a High dollar gizmo on the side of your gun for the rare occasion that you somehow can't aim any other way, only rely on it for that one in a million event.

I know someone with a Ruger LCP with the LaserMax that thinks it is way too easy to inadvertently activate the laser on that model. He’s run a couple batteries down on his.

Getting knocked out of alignment has not been one of his problems.

I personally question the need for the laser at all but that's another discussion.

The Taurus Curve is made for the pocket. However was recalled because the caliber was not stamped on the barrel per ATF. So still not out.

I know someone with a Ruger LCP with the LaserMax that thinks it is way too easy to inadvertently activate the laser on that model. He’s run a couple batteries down on his.
Yeah, the LaserMax has it's activation button in a non-user friendly area (for a guy with short fingers:D) in my opinion. I'm thinking with the Crimson Trace laser's button located on the inside grip, unintentional activation shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know for sure which is why I'm asking. Good to know about the LaserMax, though.

Mike

I carried a S&W 637 with a Crimson Trace Defender and never had any issues. I prefer a laser with grip for its simplicity and reliability.

I carry the LC9S with Laser Max. It's in a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster. It has not been inadvertently tuned on in my pocket, and I would not engage it unless it was in a dark setting...otherwise, It's about my practiced aim at 10 yards with the iron sights.

We have a couple of CT's on J-Frames. The biggest plus is that it turns on automatically, unlike the LaserLytes. The chance of running down a battery is slim because you have to hold the button down on the grip to have the laser activated. Like Cheapshooter said, practice without relying on it for targeting. When you need to draw, using the laser will be second nature. CT's with auto-activation are expensive, but are worth it, IMO.

Lasers/holsters

I've had a Crimson Trace laser on my S&W 640 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.Years and years of dailey carry on the farm.Zero issues plus CT sends me free batteries!

Does anyone have experience pocket carrying a firearm with a laser, and does it cause any problems?

I've been pocket carrying my S&W 642 with a CT lasergrip for seven years now. I keep it in a Mika holster and it's been a-ok in all aspects.

Back