PMC 45-70 405grn LFP load and Sharps loadings in general?

Rob01

I am going to be buying a Sharps and have been told that I can't fire all 45-70 loads though it because of the pressures. I ran across the PMC which says it reproduces the original load with the 405grn LFP and a velocity of 1250fps. I'm sure this is safe but I was wondering how the leading was with this load? How about accuracy? I've never shot lead from a rifle before and plan on shooting both lead and jacketed bullets with loads from my Sierra manual. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on loading for the Sharps along with any info on the above load for me. Thanks.

Howdy,

The load I use for my Sharps is 25 grains of Accurate 5744 and a hard cast 405 gr. lead bullet. Of course,if you really want to have fun with that rifle,shoot black powder. :) That's the only way to really "reproduce" the original load. Leading shouldn't be much of a problem with the PMC load.

Bellicose Bill

I use the Accurate 5744 also. I load 23.5 gr for around 1250 fps with a 405 lead flatnose out of a rebarreled original Rolling Block.
Many ammunition manufacturers now make a "cowboy" load(s) for quite a few calibers, from the smaller commercial loaders (Black Hills et al) up to some of the largest (Winchester etc)

I've had very good luck with the PMC load in my 1885 High Wall. I've tried several of the cowboy loads, including some new ammo made specifically for CAS and have found that the PMC shoots cleaner than most (a big surprise considering everything else they make is dirty). Accuracy has been as good as the others, and you can't beat the price, about $12.50 a box at "Cheaper Than Dirt".

Back