Plz Help ID my rifle...

bikerburke73

Inactive
Hey, All! New to the forum...finally found a place that should be able to give me a definitive answer for this rifle I am researching!
I don't know the caliber, and I believe my Dad has the bolt (but we really don't talk anymore). I bought this from a friend, at least 25 years ago as a youth! Now, with today's technology, and user info...I'd like to find a replacement bolt for it, and use it as it is intended. I don't have any information as far as marking, etc. The only thing I can see on the rifle is the typical FAB. NAT. D'ARMES DE GUERRE and the HERSTAL-BELGIQUE. What is it, year (appx.), make/model, caliber? Does anyone have any information on where/part number, etc., I might be able to find a bolt for it!?! Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

• Rright side.jpg
    Rright side.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 165
  • Bolt interface and barrel.jpg
    Bolt interface and barrel.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Bolt interface above 90'.jpg
    Bolt interface above 90'.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 130
Definitely a sporterized '98 Mauser with an aftermarket trigger, note the safety on right side, the original is on the bolt cocking piece. Bolts can be found at e-gunparts, Sarco, some other places on the web. If the caliber is not stamped with the caliber, maybe underneath, you will have to do a chamber cast to see what it is. Easy to do, research it. GW

"...Bolts can be found..." Yep, but they require fitting by a smithy. Bolts are not drop in parts. Gunparts has 'em.
"...the typical FAB. NAT. D'ARMES DE GUERRE..." That makes it a FN Mauser. As in Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium. That one was probably made after W.W. II for the commercial market. FN made all kinds of Mausers though. Including in .308/7.72NATO for Israel. A bolt for one of those runs $87.40 used, from Gunparts, but it must be fitted by a smithy.
Calibre can be roughly determined by measuring the bore with a vernier calipre. However, that doesn't tell you the chambering. Only a chamber cast will do that. That's done with Cerrosafe. Brownell's sell it. So does Midway. Easier to do than describe.
Parker Hale made Mauser action hunting/military sniper rifles too. It'd be stamped 'Parker Hale' if it was theirs.

Back