Plumbers Smelter

Hunter Customs

I acquired a plumbers smelter the other day that's made by Turner.
The problem is I have no instructions with it and I don't know what type of fuel it uses.

Years back I recall my cousin using one like mine to melt lead for casting large fishing weights to use when he was fishing for the big blues and flatheads in the Missouri River.

Well my cousin has since past so I can't ask him about the fuel he was using in his Turner plumbers smelter.

I've been pounding the web and doing all kinds of searches but I'm pretty much coming up empty handed on information.
Has anyone here used a Turner smelter for smelting scrap lead, if so what type of fuel did you use?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Hunter - can you post a picture? I recall seeing a lot of different melter/smelter furnaces in plumbing shops 40 odd years ago when I was delivering supplies to them. All of the ones I'm familiar with ran on LP (propane), but I'll swear to nothing, as I don't know these by name and it was a long time ago.

Hunter - can you post a picture? I recall seeing a lot of different melter/smelter furnaces in plumbing shops 40 odd years ago when I was delivering supplies to them. All of the ones I'm familiar with ran on LP (propane), but I'll swear to nothing, as I don't know these by name and it was a long time ago.

I'll try and get a picture of it to post.
This thing pumps up like a Coleman lantern and has a fuel tank.
I talked with an older plumber and he said they took white gas and I've been told you can use unleaded gas in them.

I had an uncle that was a house painter that used blow torches made by Turner the same company the smelter is made by, I was thinking he used kerosene in them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Back